SPS slowly dieing off

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by feixjai, Nov 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Add "reef complete". Everytime i add this stuff my corals pop out like crazy.

It has amino acids and supplements. Also try to find some high quality coral food and target feed all corals. This helps A LOT.

I also add Amino acids (reef complete), Iodine, Magnesium, Calcium and Strontium twice a week.

Increase specific gravity and raise the temeperature a bit...around 77 or so.

I do what i call an "Air change" everyday. I open my door for 30 minutes every morning to get some fresh air in.

Only thing i check is specific gravity. I never check pH, alkalinity or take any other measurements. I have done this for 6 months. I have a 29 gallon and its doing great. No problems. I just clean my mechanical filter and protein skimmer every 2 weeks and a water change every month.

2. Click Here!

3. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

This is great but i would never do it. I put to much time into my tank to just start adding supplements without testing. I envy your courage.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

infamous

what type of corals do you keep without testing your tank? the one thing you do test never changes, odd.

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

hmmmm indeed i agree with asking this question, as you certainly can not be keeping SPS. Im sure even soft corals will eventually get overdosed.

6. infamous

They don't get overdosed. If im doing something wrong, my corals should be dead instead of growing.

I have pulsing Xenia, hammerhead, 2 types of frogspawn, giant hairy mushroom, green star polyp.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your corals are far more forgiving of water parameters/overdosing than sps corals are. Apples to oranges.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the types of corals you have can take mistakes well. sps's do not. having the types of corals you have will explain why you can get away with not testing the water.

10. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

how old are your lamps

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I agree that!

but back to the post at hand I would open that ball valve and let her rip.
    can never have to much flow IMO in a reef tank.(within reason)peeps:)

12. infamous

The fact is that they are doing well and growing in a 29 gallon tank. If im making mistakes, they should be dying.

I don't think any tank can survive for 6 months if a person is careless in opinion and action, especially a 29 gallon.:)