SPS Skimerless Tanks

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Pankak322, Jun 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pankak322

Pankak322 Flamingo Tongue

Whos doing it? What are you doing? Hows the Growth.

I ask because Im running a nice size fudge and a small skimmer but im thinking of redoing the sump to have a 15-20 gallon fudge only.

2 Clowns
    1 Blue dot Jaw fish
    1 juvi sailfin tank
    1 juvi yellow tang
    eyelash blenny
    white sand sifting goby
    1 tiny mandarin goby

in my 55. I know the tang police will come out but hey the tangs are really happy always swimming and eating no ich issues what so ever. When they out grow the tank they will be sold.

2. Click Here!

3. Chris!

Chris! Banned

With things like digi, stylo, pocci, monties sure you can probably do it for a while but you have 2 bigger fish in there so eventually it isn't going to be ideal w/o a skimmer unless your doing frequent large water changes..... for more delicate acros, I wouldn't suggest it. I am sure someone has probably done it but I wouldn't suggest it.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I know some have had success with very large systems (500+ Gallons). I personally have gone the opposite of this...running large skimmer, no water changes on a SPS/NPS tank.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do run a skimmerless 28 gallon with sps. I get away with not having a skimmer by having a low bio-load therefore not a lot of nutrients are introduced to the tank.

Your best bet is to start with the easy and hardy sps, Pocillpora, BN... move up to the Millepora if everything goes well.

As far as growth, as long as the big 3 are in line with limited phos and nitrates growth is good. Along with the water chemistry you have to have the lighting as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I'm doing a 17g mixed with a large fuge and nothing else for filtration.

7. Chris!

Chris! Banned

I have a 14g with 0 filtration haven't done a WC since january, mostly acros (~20 sps)... but I still wouldn't suggest it. Oh yeah, no fuge, sump or macros either LOL

8. Click Here!

9. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

adding a skimmer is always a good idea. Why are you against doing so? Is it a challenge thing or money issue?

10. rovster

rovster Plankton

No skimmer here, 14 gallon, weekly wc.

11. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

Unless you want to deal with a lot of waterchanges, I'd recommend a skimmer.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I know a guy with a 120DT and a smallish sump (lets say 30g) fuge, some macro algae in there, but not much. LED/T5 light combo.

Every week, he does a 20 gal water change and his SPS is growing faster and looking a lot better than mine!