SPS questions

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1090212642;start=75#79 date=08/11/04 at 00:52:18]Woops, my bad.  Hey at least I didn't say **** or **** or even *******!  Bah, HL is thick skinned.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA yes he would have to be to put up with us aye?

John :)

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

lmao, gresham i got 652 gph at 0' head. my 652 gph rio 2100 is about 3ft. up and it the tubing has 2-90 degress bends. The 200 gph return on my canister is about 2ft. up.

4. hottielover14

i think my brown acro is turning white on some parts. you guys said that i could keep brown sps corals in my tank towards the top. mine is at the top of my tank. My lights aren't over the whole coral, do my lights have to be directly over it 100%

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I would never definitively say you can keep LPS, SPS or clams under anything less than MH lighting. You may need to move your Acropora to a more lighted area.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL14,

This is slightly off topic but I think worth mentioning :)

We all should be a bit careful when referring and comparing lighting with reference to wattage.  The wattage rating on all lamps is purely the amount of electricity that the lamp uses.  It has nothing to do with the volume or intensity of light.

For example ( approx only )

200 watts of NO lighting gives out 18800 Lumens
    200 watts of MH lighting gives out 20000 Lumens

Not much difference huh?

Well consider this, the output of a fluro is spread right across the whole surface of the tube, it's designed this way as it is the most appealing for domestic applications.

The HID MH lamp however has a single small spot where the light emanates from, it is often called point source lighting.  The lux levels that emanate from that single source are much higher than any one point of the fluro tube even though they both put out the same amount of light in lumens in total.

For some test results and data have a look at this page

http://petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/light_intensity.html

John

7. hottielover14

my clam is still alive and so is my acro just faded. jason, so your saying i can't keep brain coral under PC.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey HL14 I kept a brain under PCs before I went with MH. It lived under the PCs but now that it is under the MH and on the sand it is really doing amazing. The Colour is fantastic and the growth is much improved.

I started in the hobby with my LFS telling me all I needed to start out was PCs, They were right, to start out, being the key. They deal mainly in Soft coral so I don't blame them. But I quickly became interested in Clams and SPS and wanted to upgrade. Everything in my tank has done a ton better.
    I really didn't want to go MH in the beginning, because of cost, heat, and the bulk of MH lighting, but it has really taken this hobby to the next level for me. This is My opinion only

Jason

10. hottielover14

Jason wrote: "I started in the hobby with my LFS telling me all I needed to start out was PCs, They were right, to start out, being the key. They deal mainly in Soft coral so I don't blame them. But I quickly became interested in Clams and SPS and wanted to upgrade."

I feel the same way. I don't wanna be limited to what i can buy and i love clams and sps and LPS corals.i wanna buy the MH i'm just $150 short so far. I just need to find a cheap 250 watt dual HQI MH balllast and i'll be set. where should i keep the brain until i get MH. On the top or mid way.

11. hottielover14

did you brain still look good and grow well under your PC's.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would keep you brain as high as you can.
    My brain did not grow and lost a lot of its colour during it's short period under PCs. It was the a big factor of my upgrade.
    This is was my experience and you may find the brain in your tank behaves better.

J