SPS questions

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

will my brown acro send out stingers. will LPS and SPS coral sting my snails, my xenia, my polyps, or my clams. how far should hard corals be from soft corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nematocysys of LPS/SPS can extend up to 12". Soft corals should be down stream from LPS/SPS so the chemicals they emit will be diluted.

4. hottielover14

sps corals send out stingers.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Are you accounting for head loss when giving us those gph or are you going by what the pump is rated at at 0' head? Most gph on pumps (ie. Mag12 puts out 1200 gph @ 0' head) is rated for 0' head. Every vertical foot, 90 degree turn and even longer runs of horizontal will cause head loss. If you didn't, post how far up each pump is doing and how many 90's per run. Oh yah, tubing size as well. There's a handy calculator some made, I'll look for the link for you.

Your SPS won't send out extended sweeper tentecles. Its fragile in the sense that your xenia and "polyps" (post a pick so we can tell you the name of that coral as all corals have "polyps") can irritate it enough to kill it. Same thing with the clam, some will irritate it enough where it won't open its mantle enough to feed and it eventually dies. You'll be able to tell right off the bat if the clam isn't happy just by watching it for a day. Not many corals can take out a snail or hermit, you don't have to worry about that. How far between the softies and the SPS, far enough not to harm them. Like Craig said, SPS upstream of all others. Flow removes slime off all corals, SPS are more sensitive to others slime. Flow also helps the sweeper tentecles of LPS to grow up 12" like Craig said.

6. hottielover14

ok thanks. i think i told u them at the correct head pressure.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Coral;num=1090212642;start=60#69 date=08/08/04 at 19:30:33]i'll try an get a better pic tomarrow.[/quote]

Hey HL, Try putting the camera lens right up against the glass if you can, that sometimes helps the camera focus on the subject and not on the glass

John :)

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

which is what? I have signitures turned off so I know not what your set-up is. What exactly pumps are you using, how far up do they pump, how many 90's degree bends and what tubing size, I'll take it from they're. How did you arrive ar 652 gph?

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Also play with the ASA and f-stop, your shots look pretty washed out.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1090212642;start=75#77 date=08/11/04 at 00:33:45]Also play with the ASA and f-stop, your shots look pretty washed out.[/quote]

I really don't think that's appropriate language in front of a youngster :)

JOhn

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Woops, my bad. Hey at least I didn't say **** or **** or even *******! Bah, HL is thick skinned.