SPS questions

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Do you have a link to the auction?

2. Click Here!

3. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Do you have a link to the auction? So we ca take a look at it?

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

5. hottielover14

6. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Well it doesn't look too bad. If there is no way you can hang something and it is everything it says it should be fine. I might worry a little about the lights being 6 inches from the water for heat reasons but I could be wrong, a lot depends on the application and room temp.

Now if you could figure out how to hang something I would say go another route. With the cost of this unit being already 570.00 you could get to two 250 watt ocean lights with 20K bulbs for 520.00 and have something of known outstanding quality. Or for about 570 to about 670 off the top of my head you could get a PFO Shimmer Light with either 175 or 250 watt mogul base halides and 96 watt pcs. I haven't had time to add them to our site yet but you can see them here PFO Shimmer light There are other option that would be slightly more like a Aqua Medic Aquaspacelight and Aquastarlight etc.. These units you can by a optional wall hanging unit so intead of hanging from the ceiling it would be hun from the wall for 70 dollars

Like I said if you absolutely can't hang something the one your looking at does not look bad but I know absolutely nothing of the quality of the unit so I can't really recommend it either way. If you can hang something I would say do another route for the same reason.

7. hottielover14

the PFO shimmer light is also on ebay too. It's like $500 but i can pay with $21 montly payments. It has 2x175 and 2x96 PC.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

should i get MH or should i get like 440 watt. VHO or lilke 394 watt PC.

10. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Of the two definatley go with the PFO. Who is the financing thru.....ebay?

Yes if you have a canopy or get one a 4x96w pc or 4x100 vho setup would be very easy to hook up, be less expensive, and probably have less heat issues. You would still be able to keep many sps under this lighting. If you look at my old tank I think I linked to earlier in the thread it has the equivelent of this lighting over it.

11. hottielover14

they have this hood on ebay, a coralife aqualight same as mine but it has 4X96 and moonlights but its just as much as the PFO almost. it's like $475

12. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

If you went pc or vho I would prefer a canopy and a retrofit