SPS questions

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Do you have a canopy currently? Can you hang new lights?

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

no i dont. i would have to put it above my tank. I wouldnt know where to hang them.

4. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

If you could hang something I was going to suggest two Ocean Lights or two PFO mini pendants with maybe 250 watt 20K HQI bulbs. What unit are you looking into?

5. hottielover14

this unit on ebay w/ 2x150 double ended MH and 2x110 VHO. It has 2-4 in. fans. It has external ballasts and i could add the option of legs on it to raise above my tank about 6 in. I can also have moonlights added for $40.

6. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

What kind of ballasts(brand) and bulbs(brand and kelvin) come with it? I ask cause there is such a variance in quality and colors out there. There are a lot of cheap low quality products out there such as Helios but what you save now many times you will spend later and maybe more to fix or or replace them later.

7. hottielover14

i'm not sure of the ballasts or the bulb brand names but the MH are either 10000K or 13000K. I'm not sure about the VHO. i could ask him.

8. Click Here!

9. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

It's not a bad idea to find out what brand the ballasts are and if the halide ballasts are tar, magnetic, or electronic. And what brand the bulbs are and the color temp. Same with the vhos.

This way you can get an idea of what you would potentially be paying for and compare "apples to apples" with other units.

10. hottielover14

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Electric ballasts or bust I say, love the 10,000k MX and Hamilton blulbs. Great questions Shawn.

12. hottielover14

here is what the guy said: The ballast are highly efficient magnetic ballast with 5 year warranty's
    The vho ballast is electronic with 5 year warranty.

If you would like electronic ballast - we have advanced electronic ballast that you can upgrade to for an additional $99.99.

The ballast present in the unit is magnetic advanced m58 ballast- best in the industry.

We have actinic and 10k bulbs