sps problems

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by H&K, Jun 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I agree with tang on the flow aspect... Many times though not proven, RTN can be "traced" to insufficient flow....

I do disagree though with keeping the dkH at 14, though tang has SPS knowledge and experience many of us that aren't as proficient can run into issues with higher than normal alkalinity, first and foremost brown corals... Delbeek and Shimek have shown that alk at levels of 14 or better can lead to browning and also from a saturation standpoint to high of alk can either lead to depressed pH or Ca or when you crank all three up you can run into a "fall out" situation.

Anecdotaly many members of our local club have, for the last few summers, experienced mysterious bleaching of SPS colonies... Sometimes its one colony sometimes its many. Sometimes a colony will bleach right next to a colony that is thriving....

You would assume temp could be at play but most of the ones that experience have VERY sophisticated contollers that will alert them via email and phone, as well as cutting lights and initiating fans....

I think a dip wouldn't be out of line as tang mentioned either.. As far as the summer die offs I guess until someone researches it will be just a hypothesis..

Good luck

2. Click Here!

3. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

pack leader 2 weeks 1 day for that to happen
    screwtape have 2 hydrometers and alos a refract its at 1.025
    tangster waiting for the mp-10 to come and how would u recomend to get the dkh up to that and also any instructions for the red slime remover i might just go pick some up

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yeah I agree with tangster. Get that MG and alk up. I also keep mine around 13-14, always have and never noticed any browning (actually had never even heard of that until this thread). At 2 weeks I do not think it is RTN, that whole frag would have been toast long ago. The iodine dip still wouldn't hurt either though.

5. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

just did some iodine dips and tomorow will start the process of raising the alk thanks for the info guys will keep you posted

6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

STN . Perhaps?
    What are you doing for water top off ? summer time tends to evaporate water quicker theirfor creating a faster salinity swing.
    DKH, yes its low but unless its dropped in a hurry I would find it hard to belive its this ,however I would also be inclined to raise it personaly between 9-12 is fine IMO

7. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

top off is being done every day with my ro and i check the salinity every other day so it never really gets a chance to flux to much

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I agree with dr fragenstein on the alk level issue. First, I agree that tangster has a ton of sps knowledge, but it is also known that high alk levels in the tank will brown out corals and can also cause issues with snowstorms in the tank. This is when calcium starts to precipitate in the tank making itself useless to the corals in the tank and then subsequently causing everything to go screw wacky. sometimes sps just go downhill and noone knows why. Most of the time, the biggest issue with sps is lack of flow tho. If they aren't being broken off of the plugs that they are on, they can handle more flow without detriment

10. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

i now have the mp-10 in for more flow and got the alk up still happening and to more of them the one thing i noticed is a bunch of snails tiny ones that come out at night i dont know ifs it them because i only seen one actually on a coral. i think im just gona leave it alone and see what happens i am having better luck in my 20 long that has massive temp swings and maby gets a water change every 3 months

Attached Files:

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

12. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

no not those snails but learned something new thanks i feed 1 time a day the fish and every few days add a little phyto and par i have no idea but i did take 1 150 watt sun pod and added a 250 halide to see if it made a difference on the coral on that side of the tank so now there is 2 2t5s overdriven 1 150 haline and 1 250 halide. also had to cut up a tri color just the other day it was my bigest coral sad day something wierd about it was there was a hole that wad bored through the side then came out the top