Sps Lighting Acclimation ?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by diverdan, Jun 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Hey everyone. I was doing some research and I see so many different suggestions in this. I was wondering what you would do in this particular circumstance.
    I picked up a few sps frags today from a local reefer, he is running 2 400w mh and the corals were mid tank in a 300g.
    My lighting is 2 150w mh and 4 54w t5s. My question is, should I still light acclimate them and keep them on the SB and move them up slowly I've a period of a couple weeks?
    What would you do in this situation. They were out of the water for a couple hrs and now their in the SB and the lights are off.
    I would like to place them but just unsure and don't want to hurt them in any way.
    Thank you for your help in advance. I just want to keep my corals happy and healthy.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Stressed corals can bleach more easily, so yes, I'd suggest light-acclimation anytime one has been moved into a different environment.

BTW, congrats on the new additions, and good luck. :)

4. diverdan

Thanks Mr. Bill. I'm going to continue to light acclimate them. In a couple days I'll start moving them up.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You really can not do any harm to starting lower, just to be on the safe side but......

Sounds like the frags came from high intensity lighting and you have good lighting so I would not expected any bleaching even if you start them up fairly high. I would do this under your light type and not LED nor would I start any Montipora high in the tank.

There I believe I have made that confusing enough, my job here is done.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

No need to acclimate them at all IMO, if anything you should put them near the top. Your 150W intensity is nothing compared to 400W.

7. diverdan

You didn't confuse me. I have a 2 year old. Now a conversation with her is confusing. Lol.
    I understand. Won't hurt to start low, I can move them up and shouldn't have any issues. The cap I will keep lower though.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

Thanks Dow. After thinking about it and now that the corals spent a little time in the tank I am going to move them to where I want them when I get home. It's going to be fun to fin a spot for 10 pieces. Might have to move things around a little. But it'll be fun.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Totally agreed, under your circumstances they would most likely be fine. I just prefer to err on the side of caution, especially when giving advice outside my own personal experience. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. diverdan

Thanks Mr. Bill. I do appreciate it. I always tend to err on the side of caution and that's why when they first went into the tank they went to the bottom. But after a day at the bottom I thought and with others advise that they would have no problem moving up. They went up that night and all have been doing great.
    I do understand the advise you gave and where your coming from. The info you gave was informative and noted. I do appreciate your time and help.
    Thank you.

12. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

I'd start them at the bottom and move up...