sps light acclimation question

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Peredhil, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

kinda cool how others on 3reef help you advance in this hobby. Im in the same boat... that dosing thread has opened up my eyes to certain aspects in this hobby.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

don't mind at all. my main goal is a crocea. (I wasn't asking about this in this thread though ;))

my secondary goal is one of their 3 or 5 SPS frag sets.

Without having any, I find I can't really keep their names straight. I'd like to get one monti cap at least and the rest branching.

If they have any cool LPS, I'll end up with some of that too. I am partial to blasto's.

also, i may get a fish... i'll see if they have anything that lights my fancy (only got the 2 clowns and a blenny right now).

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would vote for starting in the middle at least, if not the bottom. There's no harm done and it is safer.

There's more to it than the number of watts in a light that determine how a coral responds to light. The different wavelengths, photoperiod, other water parameters etc all affect how a coral reacts to a change in light.

There is a good chance they will be fine starting at the top but I generally like to play it safe, no sense taking risks when you don't have to IMO. Just don't leave them too low for too long or you can run into problems as well. It's a fine line. :)

5. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

just reading this thread because i recently got a couple sps frags. The frags came from larger, prolly 400w MHs, over a frag tank. I have 2 par 38 bulbs from nanocustomers on my 14gal biocube w 60deg optics about 6" from the waters surface. I started the sps frags off on the sand about a week ago. I am still in the process of acclimating the rest off my tank to these new LEDS from PC and still have a mess screen and some eggcrate between the lights and the tank. I noticed today that one of the frags was getting what i believe to be RTN. I fraged it out into a few good pieces and am going to start again. But i was wondering if maybe there was to much of a drastic change in lighting. Like i was over acclimating the corals and they started to go downhill. Should i have started them up higher or just placed them where i wanted them? Going from MH to LED seems a little lower in lighting to me. Since i have a few frags now, i guess i could try them at a few different places in the tank and hope they take off...... any ideas?