SPS Keepers Help Please

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Ryland, Nov 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

A brief run down of the situation. 125 gallon DT with 60 gallon sump. All params in check and haven't moved in weeks. About 2 months ago a Sunset Montipora was wiped out over night by RTN. A week after that an Acro colony that was in my aquarium for nearly 3 years was wiped out over night as well. Since this all started I have done water changes, media changes, etc etc etc. All to no avail. I have lost 7 colonies in all. I have fragged that many more into multiple small pieces. This morning a Green Slimer that is/was 18 inches tall was dead from the bottom to about 8 inches high. I fragged it and spread it around the tank.
    I haven't the slightest idea what is happening to my tank. Nothing has changed. No additions to the tank in months. Every single SPS coral in my tank has been affected with the exception of the Milleporas.
    To say it is frustrating is an understatement. This could drive me out of the hobby. Very disappointing. Any advice out there???

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

sorry to hear that man....what type of filtration do you run? and maybe your sandbed is kicking stuff back up after all that time of accumilating. i'm sure the more advanced guys would know symptoms better. Alk and PH levels? Wish you the best.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Possibility of old test kits showing false results? Have you had your water tested by someone else (LFS, another hobbyist)? Have you checked for stray voltage? Have you started using a new batch of a salt or media (possible bad batch)? How do you run your tank normally, ULNS?

Just throwing some ideas out there. Sorry for your troubles :(

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I was given some salt a while back....IO salt. I use Reef Crystals. I mixed it in with the rest of the salt. No stray voltage tank is grounded. Extremely frustrating. Just got done with another water change. Changed all media again too.

6. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Grounded as in with a grounding probe?

You sound like you are on top of your params, must be some weird outlying source. If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage in your tank. Voltage itself is not dangerous, current is. A grounding probe can make you worse off because it lets current flow.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Never even considered that and yes I do have a multimeter. What should I be checking for on the multimeter? I am not that familiar with it to be honest.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Media? GFO, GAC? What are you using when you say media?

I had a similar thing, on a smaller scale than you.
    I lost a larger than softball sized Green Poci, suddenly after 2 years!
    Then my Valydia was showing N, so I tired to raise the alk some, did some water changes, and prayed. I also increased my sump/RP flow. It seems to have stopped and the Valyida is coming back nicely.

Sorry, I have no clue otherwise as it sounds like you are a seasoned reefer.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I don't know if it matters or not but fragging has been successful to this point. I have saved everything that I have fragged. Even if it is just a portion of the original colony.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

BRS carbon, chemi pure, and GFO from BRS. Thanks man. Some of these corals have been growing from small frags for years in my tank. And they have been getting wiped out for no apparent reason. I considered raising the ALK but I have always understood ALK swings to be a factor of RTN.
    I have added several powerheads to my tank that I had stored away. Hoping this puts a stop to this.

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I need to ask something else. I acquired a coral from a store in St Louis several months back. Looks like an acro but is fuzzy. Not fuzzy as in milleporas or birdsnest but fuzzy as in the polyps are thicker, larger. This particular coral appears to very aggressive. I had a monti about 3 inches from it. A walked in to find this coral attacking the monti with a white film from 3 inches away. The monti died within a day. I since moved this coral to the bottom of the tank. Could this coral be releasing toxins into the water??