sps junkies, help wanted

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by thrasher373, Sep 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thrasher373

thrasher373 Astrea Snail

ok so ive been keeping softies and lps with a decent growth rate for a few years but almost every time i try an acro frag this is what ends up occuring. can someone tell me exactly what is happening...this starts at the base and works its way up

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It's dieing ;)
    What are your params? Flow? Lighting? What is that object that appears to be wrapped around it?
    In all honesty, acros are not a good choice for first getting into SPS. They can be tough. Try some monti or birdsnest.

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

It's tissue necrosis but the cause I couldn't tell ya. Phosphates or nitrates? Not enough flow? Just not sure.

5. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

There are many causes for the tissue loss, that's why they are considered hard to keep. To add to what whippy said, alkalinity, temperature and salinity fluctuations can cause RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) or STN (slow tissue necrosis).

6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Could also be caused by trauma. I just got a huge piece of briareum that was a bit damaged in transit. I just had to cut 1/2"-3/4" off of it because it developed Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN). Probably won't make it but here's to hoping.

7. thrasher373

thrasher373 Astrea Snail

its got to be temp.... never payed much attention but with the new 90 and the full hood the water has been round 84-85 during the day! yikes... just today got a big fan in the hood and the water seems to be at a steady 79... ive got another acro through that is fine :/....had it for about 6 months..hasnt really grown but keeps encrusting over the rock its on...the stuff wrapped around it is grape caulerpa.. just got on there bout an hour before thte pic when i fed.not a prob at all and lighting should be a prob. im running 2x 250w halides 14k...and 2x 96w pc....tank has plenty of flow too

and not gonna lie i dont test anything...temp and salinity

would it be safe to say that temp is the main cause of this?

8. Click Here!

9. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would start testing if your serious about this hobby.

2 people like this.
  10. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Temp could be a contributing factor, however, you need to get a full reef test kit. For SPS, your levels are critical. You should have 0 nitrate/phosphates. Most other corals will do well in less than pristine conditions, SPS do not. Get a good kit, test, then post results.

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thrasher
    its a guessing game if your not testing
    It could be temp- so you sort that and the next Acros you try end up the same, simply because its Nitates, or Phosphates, or
    all of the parameter issues mentioned above and even coral warfare could cause the demise of your Acros ( toxins released by other corals to prevent the Acro or any other coral stealing their light/ flow etc ) this is one of the major reasons many serious SPS keepers dont include softies in their systems - and those that do, run Carbon 24/7 to prevent this problem

If you test, and post results, you will get a more valuable assesment as to what the problem is.
    Steve

12. thrasher373

thrasher373 Astrea Snail

well def serious bout the hobby... and please dont think im one of the noobies just trying to have my way...i try and always do my homework, ive had very good luck with everything so far with out testing. but would like to get more into the sps game so will be picking up a test kit this weekend...and brands u suggest?

thank u everyone for help will def. be taking advice