sps freaks

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reef_guru, Jan 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Funny you mentioned this because my Ca reactor is offline right now due to my dKH is running way too high. So I have been testing the water everyday for the last week and a half to come up with my consumptions. I ordered one of those Elos ALK test kits to try something different because I am afraid the kit I have is bad.
    I have just been dosing Kents Turbo Calcium to keep up with the corals.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It seems as soon as I get it perfect either I need to change media or the CO2 is empty :)

I am currently finding the best way to regulate my ALK/CA is to leave the effluent constant at a steading stream just past the point of differentiating drips. I then control the bubble count to manage the ALK. I take it that is not the most Ideal.
    My next step is to drill the top of my CA reactor to get a PH probe in to the top of my CA reactor to better control the PH and then perhaps get a better handle on this issue

J

BTW I run a PM 422 with a DIY second stage

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

jason: check out that website, and if you have a 2nd pH monitor just let the effluent drain into a small cup then measure. if not pull the probe from the sump.

i have 2 pH monitors one in the sump the other on a shelf to check the effluent, i just plug in the 2nd one when the probe is in the small cup of effluent. probe should never go dry.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I control the Ca reactors pH by placing the probe in the discarge side between the KNOP C reactor the second PM Effluient chamber to keep a good reading on the pH. I am hoping the second chamber will add Ca plus get rid of some CO2.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the second chamber adds dKH and Ca by using the left over CO2

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I noticed from your pics that you use the same chamber. I like that link you posted, pretty informative...thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

just keep the pH between 6.6-6.8 preferrably 6.7 even if the effluent changes
    have to play with the CO2 bubble rate to match it to the effluent
    then use the website to adjust the effluent to the consumption rate of dKH
    once its dialed in the only thing to consider is an excellerated growth rate which means more dkH and Ca
    and replacing the media after awhile which while change the affect of the reactor

yea i use the same 2nd chamber, and my pH out of the 2nd is 6.7 its probably 6.5 in the first

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I was keeping mine at 6.5 but I will try anything to get the dKH back down. I am just letting the tank run for a couple weeks without the Ca reactor instead of doing water changes to fix it, not a big fan of giving my money to that salt people...lol

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I typically have my PH monitor in a cup with effluent. and just drop it into another chamber when I wanted to check over all PH. But with the addition of the second chamber my effluent isn't really giving me an accurate measure of PH. That is why I want to install the PH probe in the first stage.
    J

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

yea i agree, cant remember the last time a water change was done. if you put the 2nd effluent at 6.7 pH and adjust your effluent from there using the website, all should work.

either adjust the CO2 or the effluent DO NOT do both at the same time, pick one or the other and go from there