SPS Corals

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jumper, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yeah, I wasn't sure. But ecoBAK is a carbon source. It is solid-dosing(as in a reactor). Powerman said you should still run GFO unless you have low phosphates. I currently don't have any though...I got confused as to whether or not I should run it. loll.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes, but ecoBAK and other carbon sources promote the growth of bacteria which eat both nitrates and phosphates. That's why you usually don't need GFO with pellets/vodka.

4. Seano Hermano

That's what I thought...so, to run or not to run GFO? It doesn't cost much more for a duel reactor than a single canister reactor.:confused:

5. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

Ok GFO, vodka? You guys lost me now lol

6. blackraven1425

Vodka, ecoBak, and other pellet medias are carbon sources that promote the growth of bacteria that eat nitrates and phosphates. You only need to add more as the stuff you have gets depleted. GFO, on the other hand, chemically absorbs phosphate, and needs to be replaced kinda like carbon, except it lasts longer (usually 4 to 8 weeks).

You really don't want both in the same reactor, Seano. GFO needs a lowish flow rate (just enough to tumble slightly), while ecobak and other pellets need to be tumbling pretty hard AFAIK.

7. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

Wow! that's a lot of wattage for a 70g:eek:;). I have the same lights over my 150g

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

234w of high quality T5 (ATI, UVL) over my 55g...

10. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

So what are the best preparations for SPS? Besides lighting, could I get away with just doing WC's of 1 gallon weekly without dosing and just having good flow?

11. Seano Hermano

Jon Warner(from Warner Marine) suggested 100GPH flow rate for ecoBAK biopellets. But I was under the assumption that the BRS duel reactor had a ball valve b/w the two canisters. :( lol.

Would you also suggest having GFO in a reactor or not?

12. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

hahaha. Yea, my corals love it! :) Never have any cut backs on corals cause i dont have enough light! hehe :p