SPS and PC's

Discussion in 'Coral' started by OoNickoC, Jan 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Actually Craig, I may hit Sac/Fairfield and make my way up to you really soon.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

What about PA??? No one ever comes here....sigh... :p

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

You buy the ticket, I'll find the time :D

Back to SPS and PC's ;D

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Thats awesome.....the reef is still in progress at the store....= ). My BTA is growing outta control in the hex 5....i may take him out as corals/anemones dont mix in little systems well. Well if you stop by FF give me a shout!

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

You'd be the only reason I'd stop there ;)

7. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Morning Sea. I would like to make a comment on your experiment. I too am an avid risk taker or someone who likes to experiment. I have just finsihed a retro 6x96w PC canopy for my 75g. Well it was done in December. I have a Green Monti and Hydnophora for my SPS. I also have a Rose anemone, sebae anemone, rics, zoos, and shrooms. After a week of acclimating the tank to the new lighting (they were under 192w for 5 months) everything looks mucvh nicer. Polyp extension is nice, colors a real nice. In fact, you can see the Monti in my avatar. This is all done under PC's. They work for me and I like the color in the tank. No heat issues really like MH would give.

I would support you on the PC. Again, it works for me as you can see in my avatar. I plan some acro here in another month or so. Want to give the tank some time to get over the hair algae problem from my bad DI unit.

Hope that helps,

Todd

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks Poppy828, glad to hear that! I just replaced the bulbs in my HEX 5, (they were about 10 months old when i put them on the eclipse) and the increase of light is noticable, well the visual apperance of the light anyway. I am now getting a bit of algae fr the fisrts time, so i am running a turbo twist on it for a while. Ill post pics when all is in order.

10. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1105587738;start=30#36 date=01/28/05 at 22:34:38]
    I'm with Mac on the wpg, it truly means nothing.  [/quote]

To start off I'd like to apologize to Mac for any unnecessary roughness.  I wasn't trying to bash, or flame you at all.  It's just that from what I've learned in the time I've been in this hobby is that there are very few technical MUSTS.  Very few of the things we discuss are written in stone.  Of course, undoubtedly, with an unlimitted budget, and product availability you could build yourself an artificial ocean that is near flawless.  The truth of the matter is that no matter how much money, time, and knowledge you put into your tanks we will still be very far from what nature actually has to offer.  This won't stop us from being active in this hobby.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is that  there are many successful setups that break many of our rules, and yet have been up and running for years.  Don't think that all that is IDEAL and NEAR PERFECT is mandatory.  I understand that we're dealing with living creatures and that their lives are valuable and the whole green peace, save the animals, and our reefs thing. I'm down.  But you never really know if you're going the extra mile unnecessarily.

I did admit that there was TRUTH to the advice MacnReef lends.  I also applaud him on being so active in the hobby and for scoring 3rd place on ClamsDirects TOTM.  --Very nice tank Mac--

But I think humility is a must in this hobby.  Suggest, and advise, but don't impose, and demand.  

Now as far as WPG.
    I realize is that depth is the dominating factor when it comes to lighting a tank, however,  WPG have been used as a guideline  for many years, and I don't think it can easily be dismissed.

PAR, PPFD, µMols·m2·sec, or Lux ? Can it be accurately determined what ratings of each of these are a must and should be written in stone, for each coral species we collect at the time?  Yeah?  Explain it to a beginner or even an intermediate aquarist.  

So unless you wanna go into carotenoid peridinin, chlorophylls, wavelengths, photopigments, biochemical or biological responses (you know, like the rates of carbon uptake, oxygen evolution, electron transport  etc), spectral spikes, spectral signatures,  start measuring everything in nm, and develope and manufacture an economic and accurate spectroscope that the Aquaria industry can easily and readily market., I suggest the use of WPG with the consideration that depth also plays a part in light intensity.  

That's just my take Gresh.   ;D

11. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Cool why don't we go their??? I have started this topic on many boards and I think it truly cuts through to assumptions and lets everyone know how it works. That way folks can see how poppy's monti and hydro look so good under pc's and so on.

any takers??

Mike

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Mike,

Big topic :) I have no problems really with rules of thumb when they are relevant. However WPG isn't even close to being a good measure in my humble opinion.

John