SPS and PC's

Discussion in 'Coral' started by OoNickoC, Jan 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

[quote author=David Guzman Jr link=board=Coral;num=1105587738;start=15#25 date=01/25/05 at 15:21:18]Don't worry Sea.  MacnReef is real good at stirring up fecal matter in just about any thread.  I won't deny there might be some truth in the advice, but it's the lies, and personal unproven theories that Mac attempts to bash into everybody's brains that sets people off.  
    [/quote]

What are you talking about. I have admitted to being a jerk in the past. I was simply trying to help this guy out. Please stop bashing me, I am only here to help.

-Mac

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

4. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

thanks for the kind word my dear

Mike

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Coral;num=1105587738;start=15#28 date=01/26/05 at 09:52:08]Hi Mike!

The lack of color would be due then, to lack of intesity?

Thanks!

Sea,

Have you considered retrofitting HQI's>  just curious!

[/quote]

Over kill imo.....I mocked up some sockets to a 70 watt and ballast and mounted it on a 2x4. Brought the tank (a nano cube) up 5 degrees in a day even though it was a good 6" above the water, and wouldnt be able to keep zoos or shrooms very easily. SO idecided on the PC's, The BTA is thriving so i think some carfully selected stonies will do fine. M. cap, M digita, and an acro are on the way. About previous statements Mod's i appologize. Crazy month and school just got back in, so im on edge. THat in no way gives me the right to spout off like that. Back to the issue, im experimenting here. I've had the lights for a while now with phenominal growth out all that has gone in. The star polyp is already got new ppolyps and coraline is on the creep on the lower portions where it is dimmer. My macro (C. prolifera) is growing faster in my 5 gallon than in that halide tank at work where it already grows at a weekly "harvest" rate. The grasses i have are also flourishing which require very similar light to the shallow water SPS as they are endemic to lagoons. Guess i was looking for affermation and have now realized it....so with that said i will post pics and log my progress. Thanks guys for the imput, u 2 macn......Im on with it and back to normal...for me at least ;)

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Glad to see things worked out! You all need valium! LOL ;D

Can't wait to see pics!

7. OoNickoC

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Coral;num=1105587738;start=30#34 date=01/27/05 at 21:11:03]!  You all need valium!  LOL ;D

Can't wait to see pics![/quote]

WHy do YoU HaVe SoMe????? [smiley=drool.gif].............
    2 jobs, 16 units, no car....i wouldnt mind one or ten..... ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Sea, I've been helping my friend with his tank for several years now. It's a 55g with 2x 55w pc and 2x NO flore. The acros are growing rapidly as are the montis. For the 1st 2 years it was run on 4 NO flore. bulbs and it still had rapid monti growth (didn't have any sps at the time).

I'm with Mac on the wpg, it truly means nothing. I have a PAR meter and have tested many o tanks. Like Mac said, a 400w halide can have less PAR then a 250w HQI with a good reflector. PAR is the only thing one should be concerned about as it measures the usable light, which wpg doesn't do.

If your looking for frags, I could probably get some montis for you and a few acros as well. I'll see what my buddy can spare. I know I can manage a orange monti digitata right off the bat. MARS has frag swaps every year, we (BAR) just hosted one here in the bay area and had MARS and SEABAY join in as well. It was huge (hundreds of frags), I left with 5 picks :D

10. OoNickoC

Im back inline now, I formally appologize to all for being so immature and defensive, lots of misdirected stress. I agree on the PAR issue, i simply dont know the par of my PC's as i stated. That's why i asked macn if he knew "how many usable photons hit my polyps per second", kind of a remark/valid question. I stated my understanding of PAR and its relavance. I did not know they made commercial par meters, thats gotta be a pretty penny. I know there's an equation with the flux or somthing to find par but i dont know it... :-/.  I've got some monty but would not mind some more and an acro....pm me. Got a site with dates for the frag swaps?
    -Nick
    (too long of being here without puttin my name out)

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I figured it was all ready over, no worries.

I gotta talk to Dave G. now, his remarks really didn't have a place in this thread (right Dave ;) ) MAC has been making efforts to get along with others, I for one appluad him. I know he has a bunch to offer, so cut him some slack people! We can agree that we disagree with out taking it to the name calling and getting heated.

Thanks for the name Nick, I get tired of calling people screen names :D

The PAR meter I have was decent in price ($300 something). It was a find, other units that are slightly better go for around $1k+. When I make it out your way, I'll test your tank, and your stores lighting for you. It has a water proof probe, so I can take readings at specific coral locations :D

I don't know MARS next frag swap, but ours (BAR) will be in 6 months or so. MARS should be in a couple months. Both clubs have a forum on reefcentral under aquarium clubs.

Lemme find out what he'll part with and then I'll let you know what you have to choose from.

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1105587738;start=30#38 date=01/29/05 at 02:51:09]When I make it out your way, I'll test your tank, and your stores lighting for you.  It has a water proof probe, so I can take readings at specific coral locations.[/quote]

Is Reno in your travel plans? Kordon Bags and a PAR meter, I'm drooling! :p