Spotted Puffer, Will he eat my fish!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by mpcovcd, Jun 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Plankton

I just went to walmart (I know..but the one here sells good fish), and bought a spotted puffer. I put him into the tank today, and its been getting on this one little black fish's case ALL DAY. Itll chase him around etc etc, I dont know what to do. They were all introduced together. I put him into a seperate little tank, I dont want to keep him there too long. PLEASE HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Spotted puffers as with all puffers are inquistive and hungry. I dont consider them to be aggresive but they will nip at other fish fins thinking they are food.
    Unless the "black fish" is small enough to fit inside the other fish's mouth then i wouldnt worry.
    Puffers are not bullys and they are slow swimmers, most fish can out swim them with ease.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Big fish will always eat "small" fish if little enough.

Sounds like you are having some compatibility issues. Some fish can live together in a small space, some can't.

You may have to pull out the one you like least and trade back to LFS.

I personally can't stand the sight of fish acting aggressively to each other for long...not allowed in either of my tanks.

Very strictly enforced!!!

:angry:

5. wade_310

wade_310 Astrea Snail

I got my puffer from my brothers tank. He had an eel in the tank which the puffer bit the eel numerous times and killed it. Then a couple weeks later we gave the oscars in the tank some feeders and the puffer fish couln't fit them in his moust but managed to consume one of them.

6. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

depends on the fish, I've had a DFPuffer for a while now, he doesn't eat my fish, snails, crabs or bother my corals. I think it's the temperment of the fish IMO.

7. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have only had porcupine puffers, but they are my very favorite fish. Puffers have personality. With regard to being aggressive, don't get in their way at feeding time, but otherwise they just big pussies. They say you shouldn't put them in a reef tank, but I have had them last for years in a reef tank without destroying the coral. I have had them in tanks with invertebrates without a problem. The only puffer I had that was super aggressive was when I decided to feed him live fish. Once you start you can't stop. My puffer had an interesting habit of playing with his prey likea cat does. When he had enough play, he would start with the tail and slowly consume the fish bit by bit. I was in my 20's at the time and found it exciting towatch.

FYI, now I would never feed my pets live fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Petunia760

Petunia760 Astrea Snail

I've had spotted puffers in my FW tank before, and found them to be fin pickers...even the smallest one did...then in my SW tank I had a huge dog face (I called him Wow Wow) puffer, and he was a big puss...my henio bullied him, got him all stressed out, he'd turn black & look like he was having convulsions sometimes...I felt bad for him, so I had to re home him...he had such a personality though, awe, I miss him...my point: it depends on the fish...

10. hultink

hultink Plankton

a freshwater puffer will kill anything, i had 3 with numerous ciclid breeds and they are good mean fighters!(puffers one unfortunetly)