Spots on Yellow Tang, don't think it's ich, pic attached

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by vtecintegra, Apr 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Background: Yellow tang, firefish, clown, royal gramma, yellow gobie, 11 mollies. 1.025, no ammonia, nitrite. Nitrate 15~20, 78 F.

All fish purchased and went into tank (120g) around the same time. No coral or inverts in the tank at the moment. Planned on treating all if any had anything. One mollie developed an anchor worm about 3 weeks later. Treated with Prazipro for two weeks and Ich Attach for two weeks. Anchor worm went away. All other fish show no signs of parasites. No scratching. Yellow Tang developed two white spots just infront of scapel on both sides about a week ago. One spot on each side is about twice as big as the other next to it. Tang also has a white spot at edge of pectoral fin. Eats and behaves normally as do the rest of the fish. Question one, what do you think it is? And two, treat it with what? I've seen a lot of ich and it doesn't appear to be that.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm not sure I would be concerned with it. They could be minor wounds from the fish trying to swim between rocks or anything of that nature. If the fish is behaving normally and they don't spread, I would carry on as usual=)

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

That's seems like the tang's caudal peduncle.....they use it to cut things they feel threatened by. It's why they're called surgeonfish. Look at any picture of a yellow tang, and you'll see that spot.

5. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Yeah, got that. What's the two spots directly in front of it?

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Hrm.....are those pics on different sides of the fish?

If they are, they look to be in approximately the same positions, which implies it's not disease-related.

7. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Yeah, it's weird. One shot is the left side, the other the right side. Two white bumps on both sides close to the same location. On the right side, one spot is noticeably larger. I'm thinking some kind of parasite.