Spots on Clown Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Matt121, Feb 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

I just got a second Clown fish yesterday and everything seemed normal until today I noticed spots on him, he still seems to be eating fine and all my water params are right where they should be.

I don't think it's Ich as he's not rubbing on anything but I could be wrong

Is there something I should add to the water or should I take him back?

Thanks
    Matt

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

sometimes when some substrate blows around, it'll stick to my clown, but it always comes off when he darts somewhere, sorry if that doesnt help.

4. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

When Gman stirs the sand the clown closest will get a bit of sand on it but comes off because they are HIGHLY active. If you think its ich, make sure that it the clown is eating and if you have garlic soak the food in it since it will help build its immune system to ward off the parasite. If you have Selcon or other fish vitamin, soak the food in it too as it will give the clown's body an extra boost all around.

5. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

So about the only thing I can do at this point is feed garlic enriched food? Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Matt

6. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

So I started feeding garlic food last night and turned the temp up a bit anything else I should be doing?

Thanks
    Matt

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

8. Click Here!

9. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

I know this is going to sound crazy but he's gone.... I have taken the skimmer out as well as all the live rock rubble and he is no where to be seen in the front or the back of the tank.

I even added food and no sight

In the tank is another clown, fire shrimp, porclin crab and hermits and snails

Matt

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clean up crews can do really fast work. If a fish does not show up to eat, is not in the sump or overflow, I never go looking, that is what the CUC is for.

Unfortunate about the clown, hopefully the other one will be able to ride out the ich and stay strong.

11. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

The other one has no spots and is acting and eating like normal

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Keep an eye on him. The fish that died most likely died of Brooklynella (clownfish disease) because of how quickly he died. There's a possibility it was transmitted. Even though it's called clownfish disease, it can go to other species of fish too if there are any stressors in the tank.

If one doesn't have a QT tank, at a minimum all clownfish should be given a freshwater dip with Methylene Blue to prevent Brook from entering a display tank. If you are finding any fish gasping for "air", especially at the surface, you now have Brook infestation. The best way of treating for Brook is a Formalin bath (37% formaldehyde, not the "reef safe" treatments that are only 3~5%).