Splitting OR Dying?!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ea7x, May 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

yeah I was referring to the heliofungia...i think the short tentacle plates ARE fairly easy to keep

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The shirt tentacle Plates are very ease but the long tentacle ones are difficult. I lost a long tentacle one also. One day it looked great then like crap. I feed it every week

4. ea7x

ea7x Plankton

so,the coral is still in the tank. when do you suggest making the concious decision to remove it.......and how do you dispose of something that is still half alive?! oh my........:-[ Again, thanks you guys for the input.
    -e

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I would leave it in until it's all gone and definitely dead personally. It's not big enough to cause a nutrient spike I don't think. Maybe it will miraculously recover!

6. ea7x

ea7x Plankton

alright. thanks. ill keep hoping for a miracle..........;) u guys are great!

-e

1 person likes this.
  7. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a short tentacle plate.. Seems easy to care for, and eats good..
    I read, that even weeks after dead they can shoot off babys.. But with our filters, who knows what we lose.. ( babys ) ...

Good Luck, Larry

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

ehh sorry but i disagree about waiting to take it out..i took mine out about halfway through the decay and it STANK..i wouldn't want that in my tank! Just my opinion..

10. ea7x

ea7x Plankton

each day it seems to look a little different. This morning, the mass of the coral seemed to be more "inflated" than usual and the tentacles are short and seem to have the appearance of being empty. The crabs have been leaving it alone and there is no more brown stringy stuff on it (hopefully we bypassed the brown jelly disease scare). Overall, it's not anything like it used to be. Definitely doesn't look healthy, yet we're having a hard time determining just what to do with it. :-/ Is it an option to remove it from the tank yet ot actually dispose of it, maybe try and nurse it back to life?

-e

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I'm sure fish poop doesn't smell very nice either and we don't worry about that, that's what the skimmer is for. :)

Good news about that, hopefully it managed to fight it off, whatever was happening. It's always an option to remove it I think, I would just give it a chance to get over a temporary issue rather than giving up on it. If it was something that was risking other life in the tank I would say get it out for sure but I don't see how that could cause a problem for other life in the tank if you've got good nutrient export (skimming/water changes/carbon etc) on the tank.

My 2c

12. ea7x

ea7x Plankton

could the amount of current help/hurt his healing process, if the coral is in fact pulling through?
    -e