"Splash Box"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by wiigelec, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Very nice work...and no I'm not telling you to do anything different. I bought a sump premade. It had a intake chamber/section, but I had a ton of bubbles. Filled the chamber with various stuff. Finally went to a Herbie overflow and no more bubbles.

Yours has mine beat. Mine was just open top, but I can see yours is a much better design and would eliminate the splash and mess.

One word of caution. I would not run your carbon in it. Not only would it be quickly plugged up with all the organics from the tank, it will also get beat to death. Carbon is soft and it will just be dissolved with all the beating.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Thank you for the kind words!

Exacly! Amazing how much less noise, and hopefully I get a lot less salt creep than my previous setup.

Thanks for the tip.

Well this is about the best action shot I could get but it definitely illustrates the captive nature of the splash box.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

And you posted a pic within reasonable time........." now thats what Im talking about" Doesnt it feel awesome to make something and put it to use and it works?

luna

5. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

My intent is to not anger the PICTURE POLICE ENFORCER ...

Absolutely!

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very nice design, well thought out and executed

7. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Had to make a small modification ...

While submerged the box was airtight and did not allow for air displacement when the overflow drain was restarted, causing the water level in the box to be lower than the level in the surrounding sump as well as various burping and gurgling noises.

To solve this I drilled four small holes in each corner surrounding the bulkhead to give displaced air a place to escape. Works much better now.