Spinning Clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by pgreef, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

My new Maxima clam is turning itself around in my tank. It turned 90 degrees in my tank today. I had tried placing it on top of my live rock when I first got it but it kept moving and falling no matter how I placed it with rubble to hold it in place. I gave up and put it on the sand bed over a burried rock. I hope it is getting enough light. It looks good but I'm wondering if it is moving because it isn't happy. I bought it 5 days ago.

It's under 6 T5s with individual reflectors in my 72 gal bowfront. Because of the bow in the tank it isn't centered under the bulbs. It's more aligned with the front edge of the fixture.

So, is this normal or does it mean it's not happy?

2. Click Here!

3. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

It will move to settle in.. I put mine on a rock at first as well and it lauched itself down on to the substrate. I've found mine likes to plant it's foot in the substrate. You will see it actually blow water out to kick up the sand under it so it settles down in. I had mine in my old Red Sea Max tank for about 3 months before moving it to my 120.. I think you'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

but once it does settle in on a spot leave it you dont want to mess w/it once it attaches to something good luck with it i love them i have 6 that i raised from 1 inch to present size 3- 6 inch