Spiney clear thing with tentacles???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Gabby, Oct 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Maybe you need to place your mouse over the pictures.... that's how you will see the photographers credits. I may have been wrong on a couple of IDs but I'm in no way a thief or dishonest. Every pic was asked personally of the photographer for it's use, except one pic of a worm..... and credit I gave.

If it has a photo credit pop up, then the name of the photographer is displayed. If no photo credit pops up, it was taken by me. Screen capture example of how it works below.

[​IMG]

It's always best in this world to ask rather than assume.... it just makes for nicer people and nicer relationships.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My sincere apologies for giving offense Incognito, as I didn't mean to imply that you had used the photos without permission, just that the credits weren't visible. I'm sorry I didn't phrase it better. A lot of systems - like mine - block pop-ups completely so in this case the photographers names don't show up and neither you or they get proper credit.

As for id mistakes, like I said, everyone makes them, and I've certainly made my fair share including some very embarrassing public ones. Your website only has the two I spotted which puts Lionfish Lair's among the best for accuracy.

Leslie

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Wait now.... that doesn't work for you? The names don't come up?

In the "final draft" there will be an explaination on how to use the page. I was going to included mouse hovering for names and a few other fun features.

I will fix the IDs (the "barnacle" will take me a little longer for it involves chanding format... and I learned webpage building from a Dummies book.)

What would the Scientific name of the crab be?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Thank you Leslie for the ID! So are these creatures reef safe i'm assuming since they are just filter feeders? Or could they harm fish that bump into it?

Also, on the Hitchhikers site, I don't have photographer credit pop up either. Very good site though!

6. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Gabby - they're reef safe and the spines won't hurt anything

Incognito -- Nope, no names. If the images are supposed to enlarge when clicked that doesn't work either (that happens on some sites too). The blockage may be caused by a firewall or by a browser option to prevent pop-up ads & other annoyances. Both the IT tech at work & the one at home (AKA my husband) insist on it. I can get info by mouse hovering on some sites like flickr but not on others.

Family Cryptochiridae. I don't know genus or species. Here's an image by my friend Art of one still in the coral - A female coral gall crab (Utinomiella cf dimorpha, Cryptochiridae) in her "lodge" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!