Spider Web looking stuff in tank.

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by kcbrad, Oct 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hi,

I have this stuff in my tank that is a clear/white/gray color and looks like a heavy duty spider web or cobweb. I can't get a picture of it because I have no skill and it would never turn out.

What could it be?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Sounds like a vermatid snail web to me.. they shoot these out at night so food gets caught in them.

*haha beat you to this one too mikej! lol

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wow, that's truly weird! I don't think I ever would have guessed that. Do the snails pick the food out of the web, or eat the web?

5. cdeboard

That I am not sure on, but.. ten bux says its a vermatid snail. From what you said, its exactly what they do. They are pests in some peoples eyes. I have a couple i think but they havent bothered me yet.

If they get the web on a colony of zoas for example. they will close up, thats why they are pests.

6. cdeboard

[​IMG]

Pics online show a small hard tube coming out from the rock.. above is a pic of one of their webs.

7. cdeboard

Here you can see the snail poking its head out of ths monti.. its web.. and its web annoying the monti:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I googled vermetid snail and sure enough the web I have looks just like the webs they make. I don't have any coral, so I guess the snail wouldn't be a nuisance in my tank, right? I've never seen it out, so now I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

I tried to give you karma, but I guess I recently did so it wouldn't let me! Thanks for all the help!! I'm not sure I would have ever come to a vermetid snail conclusion.

10. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

do they come in different color webs and or thicknesses?