SpectraPure

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by arthur, Feb 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Sorry but don't " hijack" my thread. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I got last question about flow restrict or and I'll will understand all.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Carbon not only removes chlorine but also organics such as herbicides, pesticides, fuel byproducts from leaking underground tanks or storm runoff etc. I would stick with the 6 month schedule unless you are using pressure gauges to monitor headloss due to plugged or fouled filters and a low range chlorine test kit to monitor for chlorine breakthru from exhausted or fouled carbon.

Yes, disinfection is done at filter replacement time as an extra insurance policy against possible viruses and bacteria in the housings and fittings. Cheap insurance when you consider its two capfulls of bleach and 5-10 minutes time.

I would contact Spectrapure on the correct capillary tube flow restrictor and length. They will ask you things like your water pressure, water temperature and your measured mL in 1 minute using what you have.

TDS only tells you the condition of the RO membrane and the DI resin, not the sediment and carbon block filters which is why manufacturers and vendors suggest 6 month intervals. TDS is in the 0.0001 micron range, sediment and carbon filters are in the 0.2 to 10.0 micron range so thousands of times more coarse so TDS passes right through. Their purpose is to protect the RO membrane from sediment, silt, particulates and colloidal materials so it can do its job of removing the dissolved stuff (TDS) and in turn protect the DI resin.

5. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

I utilize two methods to determine when to swap out my filters. First I have a volume tracker:

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/fm-2-filter-monitor-with-volumizer/

Second, if you note your psi going into the membrane when you have all new filters you can watch it decrease to know when they become plugged. The sediment filter usually goes first and I replace that. If the psi doesn't bounce back to good enough level then I'll replace the carbon block. I usually end up swapping out the sediment filters quite a bit before the carbon block goes.

I am on well water and use 2 sediment filters and only one carbon block (5 micron). I don't have to worry about chloramines.

I'm a fan of both spectrapure and buckeye hydro. These are water companies and I trust their information over pet supply stores like brs/marine depot. Russ at buckeye is great. I spoke with him Friday at length about issues I am having with my RODI (that I bought at BRS) and he walked me few changes I need to optimize my system for well water use.

6. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Thank's for all your help. I really appreciate it. Now I really understand my system. I already send email to SpectraPure. Their customer service is really good. I have to find out about that Flow Restrictor. Thanks again AZ.

7. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I talked with Jeremy at SpectraPure. He said that during cold months Ratio will go up ( like mine 5,5:1) but anyway he suggested putting a ball valve on waste line. Which I did and I adjusted my Ratio to slightly under 4:1. Simple solution just if anyone run into that problem. Thanks for all help and Happy Reefing :)

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

I swap out my 150gpd flow restrictor for a 100gpd in the winter months. Similar solution.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I keep two two capillary tube flow restrictors on hand, one trimmed for summer months and one trimmed for winter months. When the water temp starts dropping I swap it out, takes about 1 minute.

AnotherMike likes this.