special juice's 240 gallons of FOWLR glory!- Not so FOWLRish anymore!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by special juice, Sep 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Can't wait to see that up and running. Sweet set up.

2. Click Here!

3. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

Thanks! I'm excited to see it myself. I made a decision on the last piece of equipment that I need to order- a skimmer. I'm going to go with the Aquamaxx EM300 if I can find any online stores that have it in stock. I'm not in a hurry, I can use my Reef Octopus since my bio-load will be relatively small in the beginning.

4. special juice

I can't believe I just thought of this: I should go ahead and place some dry rock in my 76g so it can start to seed with bacteria over the next three weeks. Duh! I have been worried about transferring my five fish and live rock and adding dry sand and 100 lb. of dry rock right away. Hopefully this will make things a bit more stable in the beginning.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, that is good thinking!

6. special juice

A quick update- I unpacked my 100lbs of BRS dry Fiji rock rock yesterday. My plan was to chuck it into my 76g to let it seed with bacteria. After reading about others experiences with this rock and looking at all of the junk on it, I decided to put it into a Rubbermaid trash can to let it cycle for a couple of weeks. I don't want to risk a huge ammonia spike in my DT.

Tomorrow I get the tile installed in my basement and Friday is the day to have the tank and stand moved in.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

woo hoo!! getting closer!

8. Click Here!

9. special juice

I just ordered my skimmer- Aquamaxx EM300. I was going to wait but Marine Depot is doing a 15% promotion today. It brought the price down to $325. I hope this is a big enough skimmer for a 240g tank.

10. special juice

Not much new to report, the tank and stand are still in my garage. I had three friends come over last night thinking that the four of us could get the tank in the house and down to the basement. There is no way this thing is budging with less than six people. So I guess things are on hold until I make more friends : (

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

That's sad news- maybe bring a grill out in the front yard with a cooler of beer and ask neighbors you see. If you buddies are already there you are set!

12. special juice

Hmmm, that might work. I work in the wine business so I tried bribing some coworkers with great food and wine but only 2 guys showed up. People just hate moving other people's stuff, I don't blame them.