special juice's 240 gallons of FOWLR glory!- Not so FOWLRish anymore!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by special juice, Sep 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

Here is a new FTS! I am getting sick of people coming over to my house asking why I don't have corals in this tank. I explain the concept of a FOWLR and they don't seem to understand. I am just trying out artificial corals, which I have never been a fan of. In fact, I felt weird just dropping this piece of plastic masquerading as a live coral in my tank. I know that many people have issues keeping these things clean, so I will be pulling them out and cleaning in a vinegar solution as needed. Majority of the artificial corals came from OceanAquaria. I think they add some nice color to the tank, although there is no substitute for the real thing.
    5:6 FTS.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Honestly, as far as faux corals go that looks pretty damn good. I am sure to the un-skilled or non hobbyist they look realistic.

The real thing is a real pain as you already know. No STN/RTN, red bugs, nudibranchs........

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I might have to look into some of those. I get the same thing at my house. I'm just sick of dealing with corals in general. I do have a few live rock nems in mine though and some random GSP, all of which hitched a ride on the LR I bought.

6. special juice

It has been way too long since my last post. Everything is going well with the tank. I've been battling green hair algae but it seems to have improved since hooking up my GFO reactor, reducing my lighting period and feeding a bit less. I have added a few more artificial corals. So far, they have been a nice splash of color that was missing before and cleaning them hasn't been bad. I just remove all of them once a month, toss them in a rubbermaid container and soak them in vinegar and water overnight. My fish are doing well also. I am holding steady with 15 fish and just enjoying watching them grow. My pride and joy is the Maculosus Angel, "Big Mac." He is about 6" long and quite stout. I'm enjoying taking time every day to just sit and enjoy the tank without always doing maintenance. It's easy to always be fiddling with equipment and tweaking things, which I also enjoy. But it is relaxing to just sit back and watch. Here are a few pics taken this morning:
    3.JPG
    3-2.JPG 3-3.JPG

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

what are these arrows point too?

Fish.jpg

8. Click Here!

9. special juice

Those are both artificial tabling acros. They don't look very good in that photo.

Ballgame likes this.
  10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

i got a fake one for my bday. Its made of rubber I think. I that what you have? I think they look good. I have no idea how to use but like how you did

11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I still haven't ventured to the fake stuff, but man it lights up your tank! I'm FOWLR too and need to add some "flare" in there. I like sitting back and watching my 15 fish grow as well. My Emperor Angel is beginning to change colors from juvi.. The kids grow up so fast!

12. special juice

Good to hear that your tank is doing well. Don't be afraid to go to the dark side! :) I purchased the majority of my artificial corals from OceanAquaria. In my experience, they make some of the most realistic fake corals available. The sps look good, but the lps look the most convincing.