special juice's 240 gallons of FOWLR glory!- Not so FOWLRish anymore!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by special juice, Sep 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

Thank you!

So I think I am ready to purchase a Harlequin Tusk. The problem is going to be finding one that is not so large. I would prefer an Australian tusk that is close to 3 inches since I do have some smaller fish. Most of what I have seen online is closer to 6". I guess I'll just keep checking D.D.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

love you tank and your choice of fish! Love the bannerfish - yours has such a long fin on top - very cool looking!

I like the print as well.

4. special juice

Thanks! The Bannerfish is one that I liked when I first got it, but it wasn't my favorite. My opinion has changed over the past few months. I love this fish! The way he moves through the tank is so beautiful and graceful. His banner fin has doubled in size. Definitely an underrated fish for larger FOWLR tanks.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^ Awesome.

How is the Coral beauty doing? What are you feeding them?

The tank is beautiful.

6. special juice

When I purchased the Coral Beauty and Flame I bought them at the same time and made sure that the CB was the larger of the two. At first, the CB bullied the flame but now they ignore each other.
    The Coral Beauty and Flame came out of QT one week ago. They both look plump and are very active, but i dont see the Coral Beauty eating more than a few bites during each of my 2 daily feedings. I have been feeding Formula 2 flakes, Spirulina flakes, Mysis, Krill, Rod's food, silversides, squid, San Fransisco rBay Angel and Butterfly frozen food, nori and seaweed salad sheets (every other day).

The coral Beauty seems to favor Formula 2 flakes over anything else, going crazy whenever I feed them.

Is there anythings else that would be beneficial for the angels?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. Corailline

A food specifically designed for angel fish that provides marine sponges. Like

Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Mega-Marine Angel - Revolutionary Formulation Food Developed Specifically For Saltwater Angelfishes & Their Need For Sponge In Their Diet

I have never had an issue keeping dwarf angels and have never used the above food. It would seem as of late though a lot of hobbyist loose their angels unexpectedly and mysteriously.

Sounds like your angels and fish are getting a diet made for royalty though.

8. Click Here!

9. special juice

Thanks for the food suggestion, Coralline. I'm going to add it to the rotation. That is interesting that people are having more problems keeping dwarf angels healthy. Is poor collection to blame?

10. Corailline

Hard to say what the issue is. It may just be that more hobbyist are buying dwarf angels and therefore you see more anecdotal reports of unexplained deaths. The Coral Beauty and the Potters in personal experience always seemed a tad more sensitive to acclimation, and reluctant to eat.

11. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I lost a flame angel at around the one year mark. After asking around and speaking with the LFS it seems to be common, in our area at least. The LFS believes it has to do with diet and has been trying new foods with the sponges for Angels. Haven't heard much from him in the last couple months. Would be interesting to see if people on here have had similar experiences.

12. special juice

Wow! I guess all I can do is keep the best water quality possible and feed a variety of foods that include sponge. Has there been a thread discussing the issue of increased dwarf angel mortality? If not, we should start one.