soooo I want a bike..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by irr0001, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Thanks man..I don't plan on going on any long cruises. 1 or 2 hours tops. I also don't want to start off with something giant. Saddle bags would be a must..I always feel bad for guys I see going down then interstate in pouring rain in a tshirt..but then again I don't haha. I would really like the go with the sportster..the price difference between it and the shadow isn't much and I feel like I'd be getting a whole lot more.

2. Click Here!

3. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

If your set on a sporty, get a 1200 or be prepared to do a conversion in the near future - you will become bored of the 883 quick

Also like others have stated, if this is your first bike, get something disposable because you will most likely drop it doing something stupid (newbie syndrome)

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

This seemed appropriate for this thread. I don't know why exactly...it's just flippin amazing.

1 person likes this.
  5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would seriously consider getting a used bike, like it sounds like. The 4500 that you could spend on a 883 you could use to buy a very nice honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki and the gear you will need to remain safe on a bike. Import bikes are far superior in every way to harleys, unless you have to have the image of a die hard HD guy. Image is the only thing HD has going for it, once you get past that, you will see the lack of technology and innovation in HD branded bikes (except for the Vrod). That die hard HD guy image unfortunately won't come from a sportster. The HD riding clans laugh at sportsters ridden by guys unfortunately. I wish it were not that way, but HD guys would call Buell's "girls bikes" even though some of those buell's were so much higher performance than anything that HD ever made that it is funny.

Please take an MSF course, it will save your butt when it counts.

Here is some nice riding from a track day , even from a guy on a little 250 kawasaki.

YouTube - Motorcycle track day (Buttonwillow, California)

edit..

I have been riding motorcycles for over 20 years as well.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I have 30 years of riding experience and had a lot of different bikes... my last one was a Ducati 1098R. As a beginner I would not go over 750cc. You want a bike you can handle easily and won't give you any problems. Honda 's are always considered very reliable. I had a Harley Sportster before and I would not recommend it. The handling of a Honda is much better and the maintenance much cheaper. So, if you want a cruiser, then the shadow 500cc or 750cc is a great choice. Depends on whether you buy from a dealer or over the internet I would definitely recommend an inspection. Not too much mileage, otherwise check the tires and like I said spend the extra $100 for the inspection. It's worth it!!! Watch out for buying over the internet. I bought several bikes on ebay and they very often did not come the way they were advertised. If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help you out.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of bike riders!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. SlickNic

SlickNic Plankton

Listen to those that say you should take a class. Cars don't see you don't watch for you and will crush you. You may want to consider a Buell Blast, Harley engine (500cc ish) but built to be easy to ride and easy to learn on. Blasts are also dirt cheap, you can ride that for a single summer lay that over if you're going to then sell it next spring and buy a sportster. I probably would stick with the 1200 to get a little more power. Personally if bike doesn't have some get up move now it's not much fun to ride.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I had dirbikes/4 wheelers all through childhood...I've gotten all the dumb stuff out of the way haha But yeah I know what you mean

The honda is definitely starting to sound more appealing..I don't have a problem with hondas..2 of the 4 wheelers I had were hondas..my boat motor is a honda..they're all extremely reliable and have never had to do any maintenance on them. I tried going by the honda and harley stores after I got out of class today, but they were both closed! It's a Monday! Ridiculous.

10. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Yes, PLEASE take a class.... VERY important when starting to ride bikes!!

11. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

my wife says "your hobby is having hobbies" i got several money pits!

i would recommend you take the safety course also.i was riding for several years befor i took it and was surprised at what i still didnt know

1 person likes this.
  12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I agree with most of the above advice... I like British bikes, so Norton, BSA, and Triumph's top my list.

I have never had any desire to own a harley, and I find the guys that ride them either want to fit in with other harley riders, or are weekend warriors and only pull them out of the garage on that one warm spring day and put it back until the next year... of course, there are folks who just really appreciate them and wouldn't ride anything else, like Otty, but that is the exception, not the rule when it comes to Harley's. he sounds like a hardcore rider.

You should find a bike that fits your riding style and feels good to you to be on...

Honda makes great bikes... I have friends who are riding 30+ year old Honda CBs that have tons of miles and just get tuned up every once in a while...

If you're shopping in Atlanta, a good friend of mine owns Atlanta Motorcycles and Repair, and I highly recommend them... it's worth giving them a call to see if they have anything used they're selling.

No one has mentioned it here yet, so WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUY A CHINESE MOTORCYCLE!!! They are cheap, even when new, and there's a reason for that. you'll have parts made of pot metal when they are supposed to be strengthened steel... brakes that are not reliable and may fail... basically just completely unsafe.

and... for safety's sake, wear a full-face helmet all the time. you'll never know when you need it! They do save lives.

1 person likes this.