soooo I want a bike..

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by irr0001, Apr 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

You should really try to find a buddy with a similar bike to try out before buying one. Alot of them feel great in the show room but totally change when you actually take them for a spin. A big issue I'll point out about most Hd bikes is the way the motor/trans is mounted to the frame. They are very solid so at an idle they shake the ever living crap out of you. Not to mention you want to be sure the bike you choose has the right amount of power to suit your needs. Alot of the ones that claim to be powerful are total pigs on the open road.

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I know newer sportsers have rubber mounted engines and the vibration translated to the rider was minimized. This was only done in the past couple of years though.

You definitely want to test ride anything before buying it though.

4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I agree... test ride before buying... and I personally think that a Harley is NOT a beginner bike. I owned one before and find that the Honda's or whatever are just easier to handle. That being said, I have to admit that I had an older Harley and they improved majorly. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.... but think about it. But PLEASE start out with something you can handle. You don't want to make the mistake of just wanting to look "cool" and then crash the bike or drop it.

5. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Get a Harley but dont get a sportster there for girls !

6. Pelado

Yeah Sportsters suck! That's not what I call a Harley.... I recently owned the Triumph Rocket III with 2300 cc and I AM a woman... so, there are lots of cool bikes out there... just go to each dealer and check them out. Get some advice... and test drive!!!!

7. SinCityReef

SinCityReef Astrea Snail

I am actually a rider too. I ride a Honda Shadow Ace Delux, and love it to death. I'm also really tight with a motorcycle mechanic.

First off, DEFINITELY TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE! Do NOT skimp on that. It lowers fatality rates tremendously for the first several months of riding. Most harley dealerships offer them, that's where I took mine, and I got to ride Buells for mine :D That was FUN!

Secondly, I would also look at a 500-700cc for your first bike. You don't want a 1000+, because it will be way too much bike for you and you're likely to get hurt at first. Get a smaller engine for the first few months or year, and then trade up. I also wouldn't go with a Harley for your first bike for one simple reason: HUGE price tag, and you are almost certainly going to lay it down. Even with the safety course, even with all the precautions. I've laid one down already. Get one with a friendlier price tag, then trade up to a hawg after a year or so :) WAY better investment

And finally, my mechanic told me to AVOID Yamahas and Suzuki motorcycles, because they tend to have problems a little more often. The brands he recomended most are Harleys, Hondas, and Kawasakis

I love riding. It's an amazing feeling, but my first bike was a Ninja 250 I picked up for 1500. My second (and current) is a Honda Shadow 750 I got for 2700. Now, my mechanic buddy is talking about selling me his Sportster Custom 1200 for 3k in a month or two :)
    Hope this helps :)

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Sin City, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha or Suzuki bikes.

Does your mechanic friend realize that Kawasaki and Suzuki are like Ford and Mazda? They share engines, chassis, and technology between the 2 brands.

10. SinCityReef

SinCityReef Astrea Snail

Wouldn't know, I'm no mechanic. Something goes wrong with my bike, I take it to him, and he does me up right every single time, the first time. Given how many years of experience he has though, I'd say he's got to... and I have seen alot more suzuki's broken down on the side of the road out here than Kawasakis. Here in Vegas we got LOTS of riders. The weather is ALWAYS perfect.

*Shrugs* I own and drive a Honda bike and Van. Neither have EVER not started for me, or left me on the side of the road. I've owned Hondas for years and ALWAYS been pleased. Absolutely solid. I owned a Kawk for a few months. It always started and ran good. Beyond that, they aren't my opinions. :) I'm just passing on what a mechanic who makes his living doing this (And a good living too), told me...

11. Pelado

Well, I agree.. Definitely take the safety course!!!!!! And I would also go with the Honda.... just my own opinion after 30 years of riding experience....
    But up to you. You must love the bike and the way it feels to you. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to reliability. Harley's are just much more expensive to maintain. Just keep that in mind.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Well, Suzuki and yamaha are the 2 best bikes out there for japanese bikes, so there will be more of them on the road, and more people either trying dumb things on them or generally abusing them.

Hondas are good bikes, but typically "safe" compared to a suzuki or yamaha. There is usually no "hard edge" to a honda that a comparable Suzuki will have. By "hard edge" I mean that the honda will be easier to ride in general, but there is a "ride it right or spit you off" quality of a suzuki or Yamaha. It's very rewarding to ride a bike that will buck and kick a little;)

kawi's typically have a "hard edge" to them as well. I've been riding motorcycles a long time, and wrenched on all my bikes and friends bikes too.