somethings wrong with my brain? (no wise cracks)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by lillys Grandad, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Grand dad ' make SURE you get that pump unplugged' and i "wonder" if that pump was going bad the night or 2 before ( hence it was emitting wattage into the sump / tank ) ???

I had a UV light sterilizer pump go bad on me one time and didint notice it for like 3 days and i went to change the filter in the sump area ( sticking my hands in the water ) needless to say i felt it then .

but PRIOR to that for like 3/4 days i'd noticed my corals kind of closing up and not responding much , turned out it was that pump and after all the money , time, effort ,planning , a hopefull dreams , it was dashed simply cause i'd forgotton and didint realize the importance of a 10$ GROUND PROBE .

heres a link to one' of many that are availible, should any one be interested

Aquarium Titanium Ground Probe

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Wildreef,
    got it..this is a long learning journey fo'sure. : )
    thats why I'm stick'n to this 30 gallon until I have some knowledge, before I bust into that 100 gal. .... it will be awhile. : )
    Thanx.

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Hey now,
    Pulled the pump last night before I responded..gone for today and returned around 4:00 and the brain was looking "all good"... installed my grounding probe and replaced that stupid little flaval 2 with a nice Koralia1 @ 400gph...I cannot believe the results...Dam near Immediate..polops, bubble coral, GBT, The brain, deep green and pulsing like never before....water flow is im-por-tent fo' sure !
    [​IMG]
    I got the testing kit for phosphate and calcium...I will test here tonite...post results in the chemistry forum.
    Thanx again everyone....I learned a bunch and improved the conditions of my /thier tank.

5. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

one more thing is how do you test your salinity if it by hydrometer have you ever checked it against a refractometer to make shure it is accurate I was having issues with my brains a while back and it was due to salinity beeing to high because my hydrometer was reading .005 low I thaught salinity was 1.026 but was realy at 1.030 yikes also lost a couple of fish due to this