somethings wrong with my brain? (no wise cracks)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by lillys Grandad, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ok so that answers another question about Lilly's G...on to the next one.

Lilly's G did you move it or has it moved on it's own?

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Howdy...good day to you all.
    Ok ...
    I moved it up to the rock for one day...but have since moved it back to its orig. place, because I was informed (while reading about them yesterday) it "needed" to be in the sand. I also read that it is possible for them to regress a bit after feeding, a couple of days it stated. I had put about 3/4 of a cap of photo-plex when I should have only put in 1/2...It seems to me that was the only change in chemistry that was introduced...The irony here is that since using the photo plex, zoas are standing tall and love'n it..as well as starpolps and my mushroom as well as the others...today, it, brain, seems to look a bit heathier...the MH lites dont come on until 1230..thats when it generally gets happy.
    We will see...I'll send some photos at around 1500 / 1600 today.
    I am going to LFS to get more testing equip.
    I have the common 4(amonia, ph,nitrate, nitrite)..what is a good kit to compliment what Im using already.
    Thanx again folks.

4. lillys Grandad

I check the ph (all testing) every other day, unless I see some changes...such as this. Then it is immediate.

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I have spot feed my open brain in the past and it was the only time I ever saw the tenticals come out and it was almost instantly I think it will be due for a good feed when I return 2.5 mth I guess it should be getting hungry lol

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think you misunderstood, What TIME of the day did/do you check the ph?

7. lillys Grandad

Hmmm....I believe the latest test was during the day when the MH lites were on...so I would say 4:00 pm / If this is relevent, I will add this information to my journal...I never assumed that testing had an optimal time....to make any difference. wow. humbled again. : )
    thanx

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Of course it does. If you test early in the morning, your ph is going to be low. If you test it right before the lights turn off, thats where the ph is going to be at its highest. Light predicts the level of ph and how long. Take a look at this web-site so you can get better acquianted with the marine eco system.
    Saltwater Aquarium Setup Guide Luna

10. OCD

OCD Astrea Snail

Just mt 2 cents... have had one for about a year and a half . we spot feed about once every 2 weeks ,with water flow off for about 10 minutes frozzen brine, krill or mysis soaked in micro vert. ours is on rock in tank about half way.ph 8.0 to 8.2, nitrate 20 to 40,calcium 380 to 425, brain33008.jpg

11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

aside from all the wise cracks LOL , your wife has most likely known of your "problem" with your 'brain" for quite some time' , LOL

Now on that little brainey , hmmmm 10k's you say ? how deep the tank ?
    ive seen these things do nicely under VHO/power compacts
    maybe just maybe ! it will start to revert back to its beautiful self some times' for no aparent reason corals will do things like this and shrivil up for a time and then bounce back'
    i would test for proper water chemestry' but i wouldint make any sudden changes to the tank as far as additives.

12. lillys Grandad

Its looking much better tonite but still not up to snuff. I believe I will up the water flow. It seems the little fluval 2 I use is not optimal for this type of tank...looking into that right now.
    everyday brings some other issue and lesson...some good some bad. The motor on my skimmer just stopped. I have been gone all day and came into a quiet room??? sure enough. dead. I will post my questions about an upgraded motor in the proper forum.
    Thanks as always....check'n out the eco system website also luna. thanx again.