Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

2 400's would be something!! I'd probably move to 2 250's first, though.

Yes, Luna. I know what you've got! I know also that Casey has 2 250's above his 55.

To address your question, so far I've used the $5 coupon that coralife posted and bought some Coralife salt, per Geekdafied's advice. I plan next on swapping out my RO/DI components, as airwaterice has all components on the bottom for $39. (not incl. the RO membrane). When I get the salt, a large water change is in order.

For me to make the leap from 150W MHs to 250s or 400s, I have to get things in order first. I know enough to deduce that my tank isn't "tanking" because of a lack of light. It thrived for many months before today.

Your support, well wishes, and advice are key here. I appreciate it so. Keep it pouring in, everyone!!

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune! Here are a couple of thoughts... what are your parameters?? What is the temp of the tank, it might be getting too high. It probably is your new mh's. Your bulbs are probably too old. You need to purchase a refractometer and make sure your SG is constant. Was it an old tank?? Your probably going through a cycle. Your RO/DI filters might be too old. Have you checked for stray voltage?? I know a good electrician if you need help figuring out how to do this, I'll PM you his number. It has to be stray voltage. I could go on and on...

Does anyone read through an entire post and all the replies before posting a reply of there own?? I'm all for helping sparky out don't get me wrong, but read through everything and then post! He answered 50% of the questions in his original post! ;D::)

Good luck Sparky, as Luna said you HAVE to keep us posted! (Preferably once an hour, on the hour!;))

4. ReefSparky

I'm using the mag. supplement from Bulk Reef. It's half mag. sulfate (epsom salts) and half mag. chloride.

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

ReefSparky keep us informed on the salt change I use IO salt as well and have some corals that dont seem to be doing so well after my last water change, after reading through this post i am kind of wondering myself about this one. :confused: :confused:

6. ReefSparky

Wow!! That's funny. You really had me going there. After the 4th sentence or so, I'm asking myself, "Is this Shehan? Has he read ANYTHING I've posted."

LOL. It's all good. I know that even though some questions have already been addressed, everyone's efforts are in my best interests, they're genuine and for my benefit.

Honestly, I've looked at all kinds of forums since the 80's, and a lot of them have a culture that harshly chides those who ask a question without first researching. And God Forbid you try to help someone without reading everything they've written first!! :) Some poor innocent asks a question and gets ruded out because it was answered the day before and the forum's "guru's" remind them about how sick they are about answering the same questions again and again! These same very knowledgable folks get angry and make statements like, "PLEASE READ THE FAQ'S, OR PLEASE USE THE SEARCH OPTION, OR PLEASE DON'T ASK STUPID QUESTIONS!!!!!!" What makes it worse, is that those who "follow" these smart ones fully support this hostile culture and the forum becomes less efficient. A forum is a place where things are bound to get repeated.

I'm so thankful 3Reef isn't that way. The tolerance here is unrivaled! I pray it stays this way.

We're all here to help each other. Just because someone didn't research before asking a question doesn't make them less deserving of the advice from those who know better. I posted in my blog that the first time I read a response from Tangster I said to myself, "This guy needs some SERIOUS lessons on how to speak to people!!" Over time though, I realize that his terse, no-nonsense quips help people. He really has our best interests in mind. What more could you want? :)

Still, BMShehan, LOL!! That was one funny post!!

Every hour on the hour. I'll try. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. ptgestimator

ptgestimator Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ha! I hear you on that my man.

8. Click Here!

9. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

Sparky, any chance you or your wife may have placed a hand in the tank with something on it such as a cleaner or something like that. One time my wife put her hand in my tank, and hadn't washed far enough up her arm and well I lost some Xenia, some mushrooms and a few other things over a few weeks.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Just started to seem a little redundant after page 2;)!
    Not getting on to anyone, just wonderin if everyone has read the entire post:p
    I do have to commend you Sparky for keepin upbeat through this ordeal, I know a lot of people would be takin it a lot worse. Your doin the right thing, it will turn around!!

11. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

Sparky I had an issue with stray voltage, or so I think. My fish were getting lateral line disease out of nowhere. It wasn't from mal-nutrition and someone suggested stray voltage so I tested my tank, nothing showed up. I decided the 15 bucks was worth it anyway for my protection. Within a week or so I could the difference and someone told me that the voltage meter may not pick up the small amounts that were in the tank, the other thing someone suggested too was that if it was intermittent it would be almost impossible to detect. Hopefully the probe is the answer.

More things to think about in the meantime, is there anything that is on the light fixture that maybe melting? I don't know if it could or would affect tanks but you always hear how noxious that gas is when plastics burn of. Maybe a covering on the lens or ballast, packing nut wedged in somewhere? Could it be salt creep somewhere on the back of sump near cords?

We need to put a call into House.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

For starters what type of meter are you using to check and where are you putting your probes? (I think you have voltage in your water)

What does your TDS meter say your water is right out of your RO/DI unit? (Test this before buying new cartridges. )

Are you adding any other supplements to the tank...anything (Vit C.) ?

This is the first I have seen this post as I have been on vacation helping Harley celebrate a birthday. How is things now???