Something's Gone Awry

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ReefSparky, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Check your Iodine!!! Luna

2. Click Here!

3. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

Sorry to here sparky. But with a little time a patience you will get it figured out.

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

have you done the 90gl upgrade ? yes
    perhps oyur going throu a new cycle from the transfer of tanks?

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Thanks for the wealth of responses, everyone! I just bought my first ever 160 gallon-5 gallon bucket of salt mix from my LFS. It's IO. If there was a parameter off, I guess it would be something for which I'm not testing.

Tangster, I've tested my water for stray voltage, and got nill. As you probably know, you can't put a probe around the lamp cord, as the hot and neutral share the cable, making it test negative for current.

WM, the upgrade was months ago, and having used the existing LS and LR, I didn't experience any cycle or die-off. :angry:

I'm going to pick up a copper kit and I'll report back. However, with a brand new tank, and having never treated for any disease with any meds, I have my doubts.

Again, thanks everyone for the abundance of opinions. :)

6. ReefSparky

Well, just got home with a copper test kit. It doesn't even change color. Copper is zero, folks.

I might next try Aquaboy's experience and try a different salt.

Very discouraging. :(

7. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I think, and I am just a "read repeater" so that what I say with a grain of salt, but just trying to help out here, It sounds to me that there is some stray material in that tank somewhere, Do you have a pest control guy? He may have inadvertantly got some insecticides in the sump which inturn went into the tank. But if that were the case I would suspect the lone shrimp would be a gonner.

Any children been in your place? sometimes little hands can work a lot of "magic" while no one is looking. I remember reading a post quite a while back where someones child had given the fishes a bath in antibactieral soap.

If you could pull a water sample and carry it to a lfs and have a gauntlet of test ran on it I would. If not I dont know what to tell ya buddy but good luck. I hope all works out well for you.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

Thanks for the response. I don't have a pest control guy, no pest problems. Nobody except my wife and I have been in my house for quite some time. I have no children.

From all the good responses from you folks, I think I'm going to do the following:

1. check for iodine, as Luna suggests.
    2. as Bogie suggests, replace my DI resin and the other components of my RO/DI, except for the membrane, and,
    3. try a different brand of salt as Aquaboy suggests.

If anyone else has any ideas, don't hesitate as I'm open to suggestions. I'm to the point of grabbing at straws.

1 person likes this.
  10. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

Your wife is tired of all the time and money you spend on that tank and is going to get her man back. She is sabbatoging your ass.

LOL

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I hope that you can turn it around , Im sure your stressed at this point .
    Just remember "good things happen to good people".
    good luck to you

12. ReefSparky

:)

She's on my side completely. We both went into this endeavor with informed consent. I told her it was going to be expensive if we were to do it right. We both decided we're not going to skimp or cheap out. She's been with me since day one and her resolve has only strengthened. With the amount of money invested in this to date, she's happy to try whatever I learn here to maintain or save this investment.