Something spreading on Candy cane

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by QTYPIE424, Dec 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Please keep us updated on what happens with this coral and, Nick, if you have more info on what that coral is afflicted with, please share :)

2. Click Here!

3. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Freaky stuff.

Quite beautiful actually. Looks like some sort of "mosaic" artwork.

4. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ya I thought it was beautiful too until I found out it wasnt a good thing. Well I am not sure what I did was a good thing but I tried to scrap the stuff off. Only time will tell I guess.
    Q

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

WOW, that does look crazy!! Ive never seen anything like that. At first I thought you were talking about the little white featherdusters that encrust on the glass and rock, but this stuff looks like some kind of barnical(not sure I spelled it right). Good thing you posted, it sounds like it would have taken over your whole tank!!! Keep us up to date on what happens, Im really interested...

Michael

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Try dipping the Candy Cane in fresh water or an iodine solution(just the calcareous base, not the meaty area of the candy cane and see if that stops the growth.
    It seems to be growing like that of green or brown star polyps with a mat encrusting formation.
    Best of luck!

7. QTYPIE424

Well I dipped the candy cane in fresh water then watched it for a few days and seen that alot of the stuff had disappeared. About a week later i noticed it started to reappear and grow like before. I dipped it again today so i guess i will just keep doin that until it doesnt reappear. I also noted that after each dip I see small worm like parasites in the remaining water so I am assuming they are the culprites of the problem.
    Q

8. Click Here!

9. s14hayame

s14hayame Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

wow cool looking patterns, but is it will take over ur tank i say get rid of it. if u want to save the coral try to fin a pieces that is not infested and cut it off dont worry candy corals grows super fast. but still the piece that is not infested might be down the road but who knows worth a try.

10. QTYPIE424

Well the candy cane didnt make it. I decide to get rid of it after the second dip into freshwater. It began to spread like crazy over the entire coral. The green flowers on the ends began to turn brown so i figured there wasnt much left of it. If I ever find out what it was I will be sure and let everyone know...:)
    Q