Unresolved Something is moving on my Turbo Snail!!!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by stauchistory, Sep 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The first looks similar to a vermetid snail to me. The second some type of Sabellidae. Just a guess though.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  4. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The first one is probably a polychaete in the family Spionidae. 2 feeding tentacles come off the head to pick up food particles. Some species in the family burrow into both living & dead mollusc shells. They use a combination of mucus & silt to coat the inside of the burrow & usually have a short piece of tube sticking out of the burrow's entrance. Take a look at this - http://www.annelida.net/nz/Polychaeta/Family/Spionidae/boccardia-knoxi-Pic.htm Sometimes there are so many of them in one shell that it becomes seriously weakened & easily breaks.

The second does appear to be a fan worm, probably in the family Serpulidae, which would make it a relative of a christmas tree.

1 person likes this.
  5. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Appreciate the help with this everyone. I was so surprised by seeing these last night, and spend quite a long time looking at them and taking photos of them. As I mentioned, I'm an analytical person when it comes to things like this, and feel the need to identify every little thing I find in my tank.

I blame Dingo for all the pods in my chaeto... which caused me to break out the magnifying glasses and examine everything more closely!!! ;D

If you have never examined your tank with a magnifying glass, give it a try one day. There are so many things you will find that you never knew were there.