***??? Some ugly little worm or something????

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Stonefish13, Jan 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

I don't know what these are but I just sucked these two off of my hammer wall. I don't know if they're some kind of nude or a worm or what but I happened to notice my hammer not doing well recently and so when I went to move it I saw these two on it. They are round in the front and taper to the back and move like a slug but actually pretty quickly. They are almost flat as well.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Polyclad worm a type of flat worm. Can be preditory to clams and snails, and some report corals.

:)

4. Stonefish13

So then where there's two there's probably more correct? Anyway to get rid of these safely?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

When I have found them it was usually just one at a time. If you want to get rid of them you can manually remove them or syphon them out. I probably had one in a tank for over a year before I discovered it. They are hard to spot sometimes.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yup its a flat worm. To many to ID for sure. Like Above some can be predatory. The biggest issue with Flat worms is their ability to reproduce to plague levels very quickly

Good Luck if there is 2 there is likely 50

J

7. Stonefish13

These two were right next to each other on my hammer which recently started receding. I sucked them off with a turkey baster. I haven't been able to find any others. I read that Christmas wrasse will eat them. does anyone have any experience with that?

8. Click Here!

9. Stonefish13

What was strange was they were almost the same exact color as the purple part of my hammer. Maybe from eating it. I actually didn't know what it was until I touched it and it took off. That's when I knew it wasn't part of the coral.

10. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

If you have an built in overflow, try sphoning out the bottom of that. When I moved my tank, there were about 10 of those in there... :cry:

What people don't realize is growing at the bottom of their overflow...;D

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Some Wrasses will eat Flat worms. Big ones like those are too big. Yellow Wrasse have been the most helpful for smaller flat wroms

12. Stonefish13

I just found a third one on my frogspawn. It seems like they're on my euphyllia corals. I checked almost all my corals and that's all I could find so far. I guess I'll keep an eye out and my turkey baster ready. I guess you take the bad with the good when it comes to hitchhikers.