Urgent some type of nudi or slug??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Sheliaknows, May 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

they aren't? from my understanding sea cucumbers are echinoderms from the class holothuroidea. now funny thing about the class name is that the first part is the poisons name holothurin. ALL cucumbers have a cuvierian organ which is where the poison comes from as i stated before they will send out this organ to attempt to kill any predators or when it dies :)

2. Click Here!

3. LeslieH

LeslieH Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nope. It's true that the toxin is called holothurin because it was first found in holothuroids but it's not present in all sea cucumbers and when it is present, the amount produced by different species varies from barely there to highly toxic. In fact, in some Pacific islands the locals deliberately cause certain cukes to produce the organs & apply them as medicine to coral cuts. The poison may be produced in the cuvierian organs or from the skin. Cuvierian organs are found only in some species of the family Holothuridae. Some cukes in other families will expel parts of the digestive tract but again, not all species.

4. crappyballer

interesting would you know which speicies are safer than others? i used to house tiger tails in my old reef, and was always fearful of the tank nuke. and for my future tanks maybe i could keep some with out so much stress

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The nuking of one's tank has been highly exaggerated anyway. Right now I'm looking at a huge Sea Apple (Pseudocolochirus violaceus) and a pretty good sized psychodelic cucumber (Pentacta anceps) in the 135. I'm not worried one bit. I have a lot of water volume, a good skimmer, a carbon reactor, etc. Obviously, this would be a lot more dangerous in a 40 that doesn't have a skimmer.

I've been keeping these animals for years and I've never had one eviscerate.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They aren't dangerous at all (unless you leave a dead one in there to rot and you get too much Ammonia).

7. crappyballer

i never said you couldn't keep cucumbers without a problem, my tiger tail turned into 6 tiger tails in my tank over the course of like 6 months but i always had that what if in the back of my head you know?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

As a GENERAL RULE, in nature, bright colors exist for two reasons;

To attract a mate, or
    To let other animals say, "I'm poisonous....do not touch".

So, as a general rule with regards to cucumbers available to the hobby, the brightly colored ones are going to be the poisonous ones.

10. crappyballer

i get that, so what about in sheilas case black and yellow? i would say poisonous, no?

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If it was reversed and it was yellow with a little black, I would say probably poisonous. The pic I saw, probably not.

Now if it was black and bright orange or bright red, I would say probably poisonous. (I've gotten ones with red or orange on them and threw them in with some Spanish Dancers....they died and took the Spanish Dancers with them. I've gotten ones with yellow or white on them and they've never caused harm)

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

LOL.

"You can have a good looking cuke and take a whole lot of risk, or have a 'meh' cuke and never worry."....

Love that choice.