some gorgonian PE pics!

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by schackmel, May 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh a Spider sponge very cool, if I had the set up I would get one.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, they are very neat. However, if one wants one I would want to make sure that their NPS tank is running pretty good for a while. They are expensive and they are picky.

From my research it appears we don't even understand the type of symbiosis they NPS zoanthus has with the Trikentrion flabelliforme sponge. We don't know if it's mutualistic, commensal, or even possibly parasitic. One thing we do know. If the sponge dies, the zoanthus die. If the zoanthus die, the sponge usually dies. As a result, most people suspect it's a mutualistic symbiosis.

Because of the amount of money poured into this piece, I think I'm going to try some of the Fauna Marin foods specifically for NPS tanks. I'm probably going to increase my Oyster Feast too.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Cant wait for the PE pic!

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

[​IMG]

Someone, and I'm not going to say who, didn't verify that all of the polyps were opened when buying it. In all honesty, I can't blame that person. We tend to buy NPS gorgonians dirt cheap that look like crap and in a couple of days they are out to eat. I had heard that this doesn't really work with spider sponge, and it's quite true. One finger of the sponge/parazoanthus didn't open and has NEVER opened.....and never will. If you do research into spider sponges, if the sponge dies, the parazoanthus dies. If the parazoanthus dies, the sponge dies. I'm going to cut it off so the algae growing on that portion and the sponge tissue recession is removed from the sponge as a whole.

[​IMG]

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

hmmm........not sure who that was! I was a little concerned after finding that out but 3 of the 4 fingers are nice and polyped out!