Some corals good, some not!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Birdlady, Jan 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It caught my attention what was said about the Xenias and clam. I just recently lost a stalk full of xenias and have no idea why. All my params seem to be fine and am starting to think the water params are too good.

Ugh, I have seen barebottom reefs, they look horrible.

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

nice pic Jay. Looks good.

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I wouldn't remove your sand bed. There are alot of myths in this hobby as well as opinionated sticklers. I had a few people tell me to remove my arogonite crushed coral and replace it with sand. I like the look of the small bed of arogonite CC and I have never read anywhere that it's a bad choice. There are fads in every hobby, right now deep sand beds are advised well in 3 yrs people will suggest other options. I don't think the sand is the problem, and if you have 2 tests showing 0 nitrates, I highly doubt they are incorrect.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hey Nemo. I think you meant this post for the "Should I Remove my Sandbed" thread? If you'd like you could copy and paste the test of your your message into the appropriate thread and then I'll delete this one?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd say if its an extremely deep sand bed then I'd remove it.. as for bare bottom not my cup of tea either never liked the looks . What I find is moderation with it has always been better in my experience. After 35 + yrs I have ran them and also have seen them all come and go with every new expert and their books.
    I have ran them in every different depth from 8 inches to bare bottom Plenum's U/G's and reverse flow U/G's and in the long run I have always had more success and less aggravation and far less labor and time exhausting using a little C.C or sand mixed I just like that look IMO about 1.5 to 2. inches level in the tank when its set up. That way you get the best of both worlds and not be stirring sand all the time.
    I laugh every time I read a DSB person saying that they add sand sifter's and stick stir there sand on a weekly bases LOL Just tells me they are handling a snake they have no concept of how it works and what it can do. But long term 1 to 2 inches of a bottom media will be fine any deeper Naw Not for me nor is Bare bottom either.. Why pigeon hole and limit your tanks ability to be far more diverse and more trouble free ? But your mileage may vary