Some corals good, some not!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Birdlady, Jan 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Whats your Alk readings BL? Beig your PH is a bit low IMO, I bet your alk is low. How bout your Mag levels?

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

If I could get my hands on a Mag test kit!!!! Before my kit ran out, I had it at 1400. That was probably 2 months ago.

Alkalinity and Calcium I was having some problems maintaining probably due to lack of diligence on my part , but now it is about 10 dKH. And I am making sure to drip Kalk every night....pH is slowly becoming more consistent.

Could that be part of the problem?

Now that you mention it, My current was pretty poor...now I have 2 Tunze Turbelles I got for Christmas! That has made a big difference! From what I could gather, the cynarina was supposed to have low light, low flow. I was sort of in a dead spot. I never saw nightime tentacles on it.

Thanks for all the thoughts here!

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks! I was using the Salifert....gotta check with my LFS this week, they were going to try and get a LaMotte for me since salifert is so back ordered!

If not, I will get that one on line! Cool! ;D

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Sue,

Get those Tunze units working, more water flow means better water oxygenation means less CO2 means PH stability particularly at night. :)

John

7. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

Well I am not a big fan of sand beds but I really dont know how someone could make that conclusion, lol. Transportation was problibly the cause, if folks only knew what corals go through on thier way to your home.
    A couple of things for next time maybe. a pagoda cup needs alot of flow and you have to make sure the surface stays clean. On the Cynarina...well they can be a tough coral if they dont adapt to your tanks food production.
    Oh on the dsb, nitrate is not going to be the problem, it can deal with nitrogen based products better then most all filtration systems, look more towards phosphates as it ages. When it ages and releases P it wont kill your tank or anything just give you algae problems.

Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah , great advice! When I had my tank set up several years ago, I actually had that problem, but info was not readily available admitting that being an issue.

I only have a 4" DSB in my FUGE ONLY and it is about 12 x 12, do when problems arise, I can deal with it in a 20 gallon sump, rather that the main system.

I hope that was wise :p ::)

BTW, the powerheads have made a marked improvement in the pH, it does not go lower than 8.15 now and I am working on a plan to maintain it higher ;D

Thanks for all the input!

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Matt said
    I know that a lot of corals really do not like the toxins put out by other corals, as I have lost a few because of proximity. I think maybe it can be hit and miss and that sometimes one coral does not do well and then you put in the same type in a different place and it does fine. Still a newbie here and I expect to have some losses but I hate losing something that is really nice because the darn thing doesn't like his neighbor.

Recently picked up a Frogspawn, beautiful Frogspawn, it opened almost immediately but I had put it about 4 inches away from a Lobophyllia and now it is melting away. I moved it but maybe to late and it is now about half of what it was and will not open. :(

So I will move on...just put in a green star polyp and I am hoping it will spread over some flat rock I've got. 8) ;D

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

so...much...text...ok now...if anyone lives in the los angeles area tell me...if u want a coral that tells u how ur tank is...i got xenias that tell me everything..idk wat those people were saying how if xenia are doing good u got a problem...ima also gona frag my giant colt coral tell me and maybe we can make a deal...if u have any really small frags of zoos or other slow growing corals tell me...my tank is full of frags and i dont know what to do with them :)

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have a Durasa and a Squamosa clam and two types of Xenia and 3 inches of live sand in my 30 gal.hex tank with no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. Don't lose the sand!!!Besides is there sand in the ocean?????yup. Boy would it stink to go to the beach and instead of walking on sand you walk on asphalt or concrete...what a scarry notion!