Some bizzare snail like creature??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by phoenixhieghts, Dec 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Lucky you, at least you have a job and didn't blow off all your money on corals::)

2. Click Here!

3. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I found one in my 6 gallon nano and since then (5 months ago) I have found about 10. They do go crazy with reproduction, but don't seem to cause any harm. They clean the rock and the glass and make good food for the hermits. Their flat shiny shells are all over the bottom of the tank from being dinner.

My hermits eat everything in the tank. They just knocked out my new conchs for the shell because it was bigger. :(

Joe

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i only keep dwarf hermits! dont get the problem of them trying to eat snails and they are to small to knock the rocks over in my tank!

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Ouch, well my hermits killed eat other off so i only have two left, and hopefully they wont be fighting anymore about who gets to eat the tang turd lol, so i might get some shrimp and snails instead of hermits.

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

There is no such thing as a reef safe crab.

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Thats why im going for shrimp and snails!

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

geek, what about the acro crab that protects and lives in the coral. also emerald and porcelain

10. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hi guys,

Actually, Stomatella snails are the ones that can't withdraw under the shell. The most common ones are Stomatella varia, which may be any color almost, and they have shells that are totally smooth except for microscopic sculpture. Stomatella impertusa is the other common hitchhiker, and it has little striations that wrap around from the spire toward the front of the shell. They are related to abalones, but they are not true abalones, as all abalones have a row of holes around the perimeter of the shell, and are uncommon hitchhikers. Both Stomatella species and Haliotis species (abalones) may have the little hair-like appendages which extend from the mantle, as may other snails in the family Trochidae.

Cheers,

Don