[Solved]Sixline wrasse removal

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Atticus818, Sep 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Almost always, sixlines turn into terrors in smaller tanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Well... Because he has had a nervous break down I think. Had him for over a year with no problems... then a few days ago he just started attacking everything in the tank including my blue regal tang. So yeah, hes gotta go. Not worth the stress of dealing with it over a 6 line. LOL

^^^

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Thats no good, I enjoy watching my sixline swim through the rock crevices. I've had mine for maybe 2 or 3 weeks and he is finally starting to get used to seeing my face. At first he would always hide but now he is associating me with feeding. I would just purchase a very wide net and try to corner him with one free hand and your net

5. Atticus818

It's a 75g though and hes the only wrasse LOL.

6. Atticus818

I wish I could, but with many established SPS, I really don't wanna risk running a net through there and breaking one of my fuzzy sticks :-/

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

the inverted bottle trap that was already mentioned is absolutely my favorite method of getting fish out. I have successfully caught every fish I ever wanted out & many others I didn't :). Just baster some mysis into the trap, pieces of shrimp also works great I've caught a 6-line, took about 10 mins.

Here's the link to help illustrate: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fish_trap.php

The bottle I used is a Juicy Juice one since it had a larger mouth than a normal 2-liter bottle. This really helped as many fish I tried to catch couldn't fit into the smaller opening. Maybe grab one of those and juice it up and use it when empty. Here's the style I used:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• jj.jpg
      jj.jpg
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Now I'm worried about what mine will do once he gets older in my 29g :-x

11. Atticus818

Thanks. Ill have to try that one. He wont go near the trap that is in there now. I got 4 other fish I wanted to remove out no problem. But the six line will have no go with it. I HATE this fish. I am literally about ready to rip down the whole tank just to remove him.

12. miltonreefer

miltonreefer Plankton

I had a very difficult time getting a hoeven's wrasse out of my tank. The thing was very skittish and wouldn't go anywhere near any sort of trap and stayed near the bottom half of the tank when feeding. After many failed plans I was able to hook it and then net it quickly. The problem with those wrasse is their mouths are so small that even the tiniest fishing hooks meant for fly fishing were twice the size of its mouth. I work at a doctors office and got my hands on a very small guage needle and bent the tip without dulling it to make a hook with maybe a 1/8th inch radius on it. It wouldn't stay in his mouth long due to lack of barb, but I managed to lure it to the upper third of the tank, hooked it for a split second and was able to swoop in with the net just in time. Very tricky little bugger. It was a very interesting fish and wanted to give it to a good home, but sadly the little guy didn't make it. The 5 gallon bucket with tank water a heater and powerhead in it were not enough to keep it alive overnight, despite having used that same setup with numerous other creatures in the past.

Goodluck!