Solution to algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by PackerFan12, Apr 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackerFan12

PackerFan12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have always had alot of trouble with algae (GHA, cyano, etc.) I believe, knock on wood, that I have found the solution. First, anyone having algae troubles should use ro/di water. It's your best step to take. Then you also need to get your hands on any piece of macro algae that you can. Lastly you need to maintain your tank everyday by scrubbing or breaking up algae so that it cant grow anywhere. I did this about two weeks ago and I am not having to deal with any unwanted algae and I am getting excited because now I can actually spend time enjoying my tank and not scrubbing it. This worked for me and I hope it can help someone else.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I am glad this worked for you. But I suspect that you resolved the root cause of the nuisance algae and it would have went away on its own without you pulling and scrubbing. Once the excess nutrients are out of the system the algae has no nourishment and can only die off. RO/DI, skimmer to remove DOC, over feeding, old lights, phosphates, nitrates etc…it’s a common discussion on this board nearly daily. I am glad you won your battle !