Solid Carbon Dosing with EcoBAK

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Looking forward to see how they work out for you powerman.

I was about to pull the trigger on the NP Bio's and decided to give the MB7/BioFuel regimen a shot instead. So far haven't noticed a significant difference in nitrates. It did clear up my cyano nicely, Still battling GHA currently. Hoping everything works out well for you as I'll most likely switch to a MB7 / pellet setup.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'm going to go it straight. Some use MB7, but I want to use it alone. Maybe later try some bugs.

My N and P are already low... but I want to give them time to establish, see how my numbers are, then crank up the food. I was dosing coral food, but had a pretty bad cyano outbreak. It's cleared up now so I'm ready to go.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I have 0 nitrites and nitrates but I have phosphates would this help me out?

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Depends. Some still need to run GFO. Nitrates and PO4 production and consumption are at different rates. So you still may have some PO4s that need to be mopped up. I'm going to try without first and see what happens.

6. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm following along with this thread. I currently dose vodka, but I find that my phosban reactors with carbon and GFO constantly clog up with bacterial overgrowth from the vodka - the flow in the reactors stops every week or so and I constantly have to stir/change the media - huge PITA! If this works, hopefully it will replace the vodka and not spread bacteria around my tank to clog my reactors!

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I have dual reactors and for this reason I'm not running is series with this. I'm going to tee my pump to run EcoBak and GAC separately. I want to get this setup tomorrow and I will be starting a thread for it.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

im pumped about the possibilities

10. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

wow... I've never heard of anything like this... if it works, I can definitely see how it could be a great addition! I've never wanted to try vodka dosing because it's so tedious... but this seems like it would replace all that.

11. janey

janey Plankton

I was gonna order the other . where can i get EcoBak ?

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Got mine running yesterday.

call Warner Marine.