Solid Carbon Dosing with EcoBAK

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

my guess is ya but it would be tricky with the cheato and lrr.
    my idea (which i think is great;D) is that you but it as a 3-4" base than put some eggcrate over it by putting little tabs of acrylic 3-4" from the bottom so the eggcrate doesnt sink, and then put your live rock and cheato there. would that revolutionize the refugium lol? by the way i hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

So this can be put in a media bag and dropped in the sump or put in a reactor?

4. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hmm seems pretty similar the NP bio-pellets. Which from what I've read, do work pretty well. You fill a reactor with a set amount of pellets, hook up a pump and let them tumble away. Depending on your NP levels, the media will deteriorate faster or slower and the by-product being a "mulm" solution that it supposed to be beneficial to the corals. At least this is what I've gathered about the bio pellets and it seem to be the same case here.

A rapid tumble was required, may or may not be used with GFO, you can keep your ALK higher (Unlike vodka, vinegar, sugar) and best of all you just refill your reactor like 2 or 3 times a year or as it's needed.

On the surface it looks like a great product. I'm looking forward to trying them out since they're cheaper than the NP bio's.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I put all my LRR in a separate space in my sump so that is not a problem. But, your eggcrate idea is great and I think I will try that out. Or maybe put it in some baffles.

6. crank2211

If they're like the NP Bio's, then no they won't be effective as a substrate. The media needs to tumble fairly rapidly in a reactor.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Description says it can be placed in a bag and thrown in your sump. I have to assume they don't need to tumble.

8. Click Here!

9. crank2211

Just found this on RB.

Like's like they're not at all like the NP Bio Pellets, so you're probably right xmetal, substrate/bag could work..

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I don't think so. You still need the bed cleaned with flow. Poop would just settle and fill it. It is also a little too soon to tell how this will effect macro growth.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The difference is these pellets have not reported to slime. I have read the thread about the NP pellets and will have to see the difference. From what I hear EcoBak does not need high flows and tumbling to keep clean.

Mine came in today. I need some screen for my reactor. Sponges clog.... the pellets are pretty small so I need a screen to get rid of sponges.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  12. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I am very excited about this :D