Softies looking ill and SPS thriving

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by rcflyer1388, Jun 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I built a LED setup using royal blue/whites/blues/a few green and violet. I didn't think the lights were a problem because they were thriving before. I actually thought the sps wouldn't like it because it wouldn't be enough. it's about 38 1W LEDs.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I've never kept any coral under LEDs, so I'll let the others comment on that.

4. rcflyer1388

I think I figured out what it could've been. It was time to change out the carbon in my reactor. Today I get a reminder on my phone that 3 weeks passed since I last put new carbon. Could be that the coral were battling it out the past 3-4 days? Hopefully tomorrow I see some improvement in their condition.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I don't know anything about carbon reactors either :-/

6. rcflyer1388

lol. it's all good. I'm still trying to learn more about this hobby as well. Wish I knew some of the stuff before that I learned now, would've saved me a ton of money lol

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I may have missed it, but do you use RO/DI

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

I have a 4 stage BRS unit that I've always used after the tank finished cycling when I first started.

10. rcflyer1388

after the carbon change. the coral kinda looked good at first but now back to same issue. I'm starting to lean towards the lighting. It might be a bit too high for them. Will move them around a bit to shaded areas and see what happens.

11. rcflyer1388

here's the latest update if anyone is interested....after about a week and a half of the new carbon, there wasn't that much of improvement from before. 4 days ago I decided to add Coral Vite from Kent. Now I know I'm probably committing a cardinal sin and the last thing I want to do is stock up on Kent products. But the stuff actually worked in my opinion. All of the soft coral in my tank opened up partially a few hours later and then completely the next day. Coincidence or no? I have no clue. I'm going to dose the 1 teaspoon every week and see the results. My only guess now is that maybe my skimmer and carbon stripped the water of minerals the coral need and combination of the toxic warfare going on.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My softies and star polyps hate any type of carbon no matter what brand, even chemipure elite. Try fuel by aquavitro to dose. I've had amazing success