SOFT tube feather duster

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Apr 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

neat. what do you use (if anything) to feed it?

2. Click Here!

3. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I have a giant Feather Duster I was told, don't know if it is a hard or soft shell....I bought it already on a rock and covered with green star polyups..like a blanket over it. I target feed it Marine Snow, and I feed from the underside. The tail end of it is covered in substrate that looks like it is glued on it. It is huge and my Clown actually sleeps in it...and swims and rolls around in it...didn't see if you had a clown?? if you do..i would say thats the reason the tube could be breaking?

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Do you have a picture of it? I have heard of clown's trying to play in so many places, IT would be cool to see.
    Danny

5. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Srry don't know how to send images thru private messages

I don't wannt highjack a thread.

The worm now allows the clown to play with out closing, its his bed now.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

As the original poster of this thread...

any/all pics and comments on actual first hand experience with soft tubed dusters is encouraged!

I couldn't find a great thread on the subject, so I'm hoping to jam this one with info as time goes on ;)

By all means, talk about them freely ;D stay on subject and it won't be hijacking 8)

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

that is soooo awesome

how long did it take the worm to get OK with this?

where is this in relationship to the overall tank? (zoomed out shot?)

8. Click Here!

9. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Took about 2-3 weeks, and worm totally accepts the clown....the other clown has an anennome of his own and will sometimes play in the feather duster, but the little clown calls it home. He hasn't ried to feed the feather duster .....yet ??

The duster is on the end in a medium/low flow area about 5 inches up.....checking for a photo..........Duster is on the left in the brown patch of star polyups....I split two groups of the polyups off and placed in other areas of tanks The duster is fed about once a week with marine snow. Duster hardly ever closes.

Attached Files:

10. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

I don't target feed him or my Hawaiian duster at all.

I feed the whole tank DT's phyto and Cyclopeeze once every 3 days.

They both stay open all the time unless someone scares them back in. They did hide more than they do now when i first got them.

None of the fish or inverts directly bother them, they may swim by a little too close and the dusters close up for a minute or two but come right back out.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

As an update, he pretty much is always out now. I really like this guy. If I have continued success, I want more in different colors!

1 person likes this.
  12. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I have alot of open sand in my tank and would also like to have a few of these in the sand to add some color and take up some roon as well. Is the sand there plae of preference, and will a diamond goby bother them
    ??

Here in the Pacific Northwest they run about 40-80 dollars each...kinda expensive IMO....refering to the COCO worms.