SOFT tube feather duster

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Peredhil, Apr 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I actually buried him a few days ago - Thursday I think it was.

Took that pic earlier today. Just walked by and noticed this. Not sure how it happened... hoping all is fine with it.

[​IMG]

(the end piece is knocked off)

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my lights auto shut off 10 minutes ago. (lights off at 8:30). I just peeked real close and noticed it was out!!! So I took a pic, but I wasn't able to focus because it was just black... had to use flash and all that jazz. so that's why it's blurry.

But I'm stoked that the duster is OK.

I actually like it better now with that piece off! I really wish I could find out if the worm did it or if it got knocked off from a hermit or something...

And that black blurry spot to the right... no idea what that is...

[​IMG]

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Thats a pretty worm, I doubt seriously he knocked it off. I would find the culprit and put him out on the porch. I had a large snail mash a Kenya Tree down so flat that the tree broke off his rock and is somewhere in the tank so all the large snails went to lil Ryley the 6 year old girl next door, My pencil Urchin got on a mushroom and he had to pull up stakes and I found him in my rubble pile yesterday so Ryley got a toy she was a bit afraid of. Just out of the blue the Urchin went ballistic and started going ignorant on things in the tank....That is a very cool worm...I love to watch em...I have a Coco Worm that hicked in with my mushrooms...He is very tiny If I dont point him out you would never know he was there....When they get big they are really pretty...Good Luck and find the culprit and give him to a Ryley in your area...lol...
    Danny

5. coldshot

If you dont know what the black thing is I would toss him if given a chance....

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Funny Danny, thanks.

The black thing only appears in the photo. I haven't actually seen that in the tank... it was pitch black when I took that pic so who knows...

Anyway, I'm noticing that it is pretty much open all night when the lights are out... and never open when the lights are on... is this normal? Will it eventually get used to the tank and start coming out when lights are on? No fun to only be out at night

7. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Not out in day time

Do you have a clown fish in there? I dislike clowns.. I was watching one for hours as he went around picking on everything till they all went inside.

Duster looks great!
    Mike

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

What was funny? Guess I missed something, Mine is in and out 24/7, Like the other member said there maybe something picking at him. Usually they would be out most of the time. I hope it work's for him, they are real neat animals. Might try placing him in a somewhat shaded area, Maybe he will stay out more in the daytime. He really should be they always feed. But it is a different type of worm also....My Coco Worm and my Duster are always feeding...24/7...Take care and good luck
    Danny

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

:laugh5:

OK, so at lunch today, no update. When I get home from work though he's 'dropped' the rest of the exposed tube. Today's 4/13/09 so countdown on how long it takes to rebuild. And he has been out for the past couple hours.

I did notice a crack in the tube at first (I could see a line of light) - so I'm not entirely surprised - though I did think it would patch...

Clearly has two crowns, one inside the other - anyone know if this means anything as far as ID species go or anything?

Last pic you can see the tube sticking out when it's sucked up inside.

(with different camera settings)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if nothing else, I'm documenting this... I'll update this thread as this worm updates itself and then we'll have a nice reference for these guys.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i had a coco worm, its shell was hard as concrete

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I have seen white feathers crack there shells and move to what suits them. nice worm though