Soft Coral Ill :(

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by SPUD, Jan 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't think that a nitrate level of 20 is going to kill your coral especially when you consider that many corals feed on nitrates. That's not saying that I wouldn't try to lower your nitrates but I would look for other reasons. Are there any corals near the torch that could be stinging it?

2. Click Here!

3. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

The water change doesn't appear to have helped the other side is looking nearly dead now. There are no other corals near it so I haven't got a clue whats up with it. If the other side does die off should I remove the coral or is there any chance it could grow back?

4. fishnchips

fishnchips Plankton

the torch is a very tough coral, i bet yours is just resting, usually they are strong, my torch is the oldest coral i have, he easily lived through all my beginner mistakes. he does what yours is doing once a month or so, he comes right back happy and strong and continues stinging the kenya trees near by :)
    how long has yours been like that? if less than 2-3 days, you should be ok

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  5. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

Well its looking even worse this morning I think its about to finally die :( im well gutted. I don't think there is much else I can do. Would you remove it once it appears to have completely died or can they be left?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Could be brown jelly disease. Did you notice any brown slimy looking stuff on the polyps? Can you post a picture of it now?

If it's definitely dying, I would remove it unless you have a very large system that can handle the bioload that the coral will produce as a result of it rotting.

PS. I would not recommend that you ever do that large of a water change again. It's far too much of a shock on the system.

7. SPUD

SPUD Plankton

I've removed it from the tank as it seemed to have nearly fully died and you could smell it. :cry: Oh well.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

While soft corals are usually pretty durable, they do prefer a more mature tank. Especially after you have all water params. New tank still goes thru a number of mini cycles after primary one.

Wait couple of months before adding any more...then they will do fine.

Note: try a frogspawn next time instead of a torch. Look pretty much same, but frogspawn is more durable and gets along with other corals much better.

Good luck.