Sochting Oxydator A

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Wrassman, May 21, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Navy, 2, 99%]Do you know what the DO is in your tank?

I had been debating whether or not to get a ozonizer for my tank.  I know the value of increasing the ORP, and increasing the DO (dissolved oxygen) level.  With an increase of DO there is an increase in fish health and disease resistance, there is also an increase in the bio-load capacity of the tank, and there is a decrease in the dissoved wastes in the tank, as they are 'oxidized.'

And, there are other benefits.  Algae slows its growth, with reduced carbon dioxide levels in the tank.  The pH levels are more easily maintained, since the unwanted orgainic decay, proteins and pollutants are 'oxidized,' they are not allowed to bring pH levels down.

I knew about all these good things, but I also knew that ozonizers cost $150-400!  Sometimes more if you hook them up to UV sterilizers and fancy controllers.  I just didn't want to invest that kind of money.  Besides, I have heard of these devices actually exploding (rare) or at the very least, causing environmental problems for those who live around them.

Then I discovered the Sochting Oxydator A.  It is a device developed in Germany, composed of a ceramic material, that is filled with hydrogen peroxide (6%).  A catalyst is inserted into the peroxide solution, the lid is placed on the container, and the container is placed in the tank or sump (mine is in the sump).  The peroxide is then released as oxygen into the tank by way of micro-bubbles.  Mine is releasing 270mg of oxygen per day into the tank, and will do so for 4 weeks, when it will need a refill.

It needs no electricity.  It is noiseless.  It is maintenence free, aside from the refilling.

If you are interested in exploring further, you can look at this link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4513

I plan to post for the next few days and weeks my impressions as to how the oxydator is working.  So far, I'm quite impressed with how easy it was to set up.  I'll keep you apprised.[/glow]

Edit: Grammar and spelling... [smiley=square.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Thanks again Professor Gadget!

Ok, what do I get and in what order?

• Sump/Refugium
    • Miracle Mud for Sump/Refugium
    • Aqua Ecolyzer
    • Sochting Oxydator A plus fluid

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

4. Wrassman

The order you have listed above looks great. I wouldn't change a thing!!! Except perhaps the spelling of the third item. It's ECO-Aqualizer... ;D

5. Craig Manoukian

6. Wrassman

[glow=Green, 3, 80%]Hey CMKll!!!

Let me know when you pic up an Oxydator!! Mine's been in my tank about 3 weeks, now. The evidence that it is in the tank is unmistakeable now. I'll take another pic either tonight or tomorrow. The change has been significant!!![/glow]

7. Craig Manoukian

I've got too many wants! Turbofloater and Sump/Refugium first!

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]I have learned (from CMKll) that the original source of the Oxydator no longer sells the 6% fluid necessary to make the thing run. That just seems absurd to me -- Here's a great device for your tank, but sorry, it doesn't work, and we don't sell the fluid to make it work?? [smiley=confused1.gif] Am I missing something here?? [smiley=dunce2.gif]

At any rate, I found another vendor that sells the Oxydator, all sizes, and sells the 6% fluid to go along with it (they also give you some guidance as to where to find even stronger fluids if you are so inclined).

Anyway, here they are:

http://www.marine-monsters.com/front/products/oxydator.html

Why don't you take a minute and navigate around the site (it isn't easy to do). You might find some stuff you never knew existed... [smiley=Looking.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=goofy.gif] [smiley=freak3.gif] [smiley=stars.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif][/glow]

10. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

Wrass,,,
    I ordered mine this past Sat.
    I will let you know when i get it...
    Tanks

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Crazy Site Wrass. You're right I hadn't heard of most of their products. But very cool.
    how is the Oxydator working, noticable results long term? Have you been able to find a local source for the H2O2? I imagin it won't be that hard.

J

12. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I recieved my unit today, yea, ;D ;D
    As some of you know, living down in Southern Florida we have the A/C running 8 months out of the year and my PH does not go above 8.1, I believe it's cause of the fresh air not circulating thru the house and taking the CO2 with it, so, I must give the Oxyganator a shot or pipe fresh air in from the outside, hope I don't have to do that...
    I'll let you all know about the PH rise if any....